How about teleconverters?

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I think I am going to be getting a 200mm lens.

I would like it a little longer zoom wise, but its just so much money .

SO, i am looking at teleconverters.

With the 1.4x telecoverter, do it decrease quality in ANY WAY?

How about with the 2.0x teleconverter?

What camera and lens are you going to use it with? I got a canon 1.4 for christmas and I am returning it today. It wouldn't fit my 100mm macro and my 100-400mm wouldn't auto focus in bright light at full zoom, even after making the so called tape modification. You need a lens with a maximum aperture of f/4 or greater to use this teleconverter and probably the third party ones a well.

As far a quality is concerned, it is possible to lose some sharpness with a telecoverter if it is not well made. That is the reason I went with the canon version, as it was made to be used with L class prime lenses.

:lmao:

I just posted this thread. It is a 1.7 TC though. The reason I went with a 1.7 is because I didn't think the 1.4 was enough reach and the 2.0 was too much sacrifice of light and quality.

Hey guys, I think I am going to be getting a 200mm lens.

I would like it a little longer zoom wise, but its just so much money .

SO, i am looking at teleconverters.

With the 1.4x telecoverter, do it decrease quality in ANY WAY?

How about with the 2.0x teleconverter?

Yes you will loose some quality. You are putting an optical enhancemet that was built to work for several lenses. The amount depends on the quaity of the TC and the quality of the lens it is used with. Remember the TC will magnify any and all flaws in the lens. With the 2.0 you will loose even more quality than with the 1.4.

You might want to read this post of mine in a thread by davebmck, reference the 1.4 TC from Canon since you do not state what lens you will be using it with.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...eleconverter-af-modification.html#post1476465

:lmao:

I just posted this thread. It is a 1.7 TC though. The reason I went with a 1.7 is because I didn't think the 1.4 was enough reach and the 2.0 was too much sacrifice of light and quality.

Can the OP get that in a Canon mount? :lol:

Thanks. I am going to use this with a newer canon with a minimun aperture of f/4.5

and i will only buy the canon brand.

check the Canon website for the teleconverter and make sure that the lens that you want if for is listed as compatable - they are made for the L range of lenses only and they don't even fit every L lens either. This is due to a protruding element at the front of the teleconverters and thus you cannot connet non- compatable lenses to them. At that point you have to look at a 3rd party teleconverter - sigma make a 1.4 which is optically about the same in quality as the canon though the sigma 2* is maginally softer and also not a full 2* (closer to 1.95*)

The only way to connect an uncompatable lens to TCs is to use extension tubes, but using them not only reduces your minimum focusing distance, but also removes your ability to focus at longer ranges so it somewhat defeats the point of using a TC most times.

Thanks. I am going to use this with a newer canon with a minimun aperture of f/4.5

Make sure you take a look at this then.
Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Compatibility Chart

I have the Canon but I also had a Kenko 1.4 300DG in a Canon mount.
Kenko | 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG Teleconverter | K14PRO300DGN

I think that it was as good as the Canon and the price is better. Just stay away from the cheaper 1.5 versions. You will notice a difference between them and the 1.4 from either Canon or Kenko.

The Canon 1.4 teleconverter will not auto focus with that lens or any other with a maximum aperture smaller than f/4. If it is compatible with your lens, you can use it in manual focus though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back