how about these? c&c please

RPetterson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC00335-1.jpg

DSC00341-1.jpg

I like this shot in Sepia. The dress pattern lends itself to that old style.

okay... hmm less soft... lets see what I can do ;)

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/60 second ===> 0.01667 second
* Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 56/10 ===> ƒ/5.6
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
* Original Date/Time = 2009:12:16 16:57:20
* Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
* Focal Length = 400/10 mm ===> 40 mm
* Image Width = 2592 pixels
* Image Height = 3872 pixels

this is the problem, youre shooting at 1/60, and most will say if youre shooting under 1/200, you need both a tripod and a stationary subject.. try bumping up iso, shooting more wide open both in aperture and lens, and off camera or external flash

On number one break the wrist the other direction. What I mean by this is pose so the wrist is breaking backwards instead of forwards.

Michael

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/60 second ===> 0.01667 second
* Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 56/10 ===> ƒ/5.6
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
* Original Date/Time = 2009:12:16 16:57:20
* Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
* Focal Length = 400/10 mm ===> 40 mm
* Image Width = 2592 pixels
* Image Height = 3872 pixels

this is the problem, youre shooting at 1/60, and most will say if youre shooting under 1/200, you need both a tripod and a stationary subject.. try bumping up iso, shooting more wide open both in aperture and lens, and off camera or external flash

Thank you so much... so I pulled out my camera and played with it a bit and I shot that picture in portrait mode and it is set at the 1/60 and won't let me change it... so I guess that is the problem? I need to take shot like that in a different mode? Is the compulsory flash mode ok? I have to say that you have given me the best advice so far and it has really helped me alot! It was great for you to break it down (dummy it down for me)

Rachel

for starters try setting the camera on shutter priority and setting the "iso auto" to off and setting your shutter speed at 1/200 and forcing the flash then when you get used to that set it to manual mode, or hell start in manual mode

and most will say if youre shooting under 1/200 you need both a tripod and a stationary subject...
is there a WRONG ANSWER NOISE BUTTON HERE?!
Where does it say that you need to shoot under 1/200 for stationary? Flash freeze action. If flash reaches the subject it'll freeze the subject's motion. Yes, at 1/60 doing movement/action is a bit tricky b/c motion blur will occur but once again flash freezes action. By your theory, I can't shoot reception at anything less then 1/200s and yet, I'm at 1/125 iso 400, with dance floor at f/8 and background at 5.6 no problem oh and I don't have VR on my main lens.
One of photographers I work for/with, shoot everything at 1/60. Portraits on tripod, everything else in hand and yet again - no problems.

Rachel
portrait mode
on P, many camera, especially indoors with flash in TTL will set 1/60, widest possible apertures, (since they are fixed on ISO) will adjust flash to balance with ambient light.
Many photographers will say shoot in Aperture for portraits and shoot in shutter for sports. My problem with Aperture is the 1/60 indoors - it isn't a problem as far as motion, but it is a problem, for me b/c of the amount of ambient light I pick up - BUT THAT'S ME. Shooting at shutter priority, I minimize the ambient light but camera likes to keep aperture as wide as possible - and that's another problem isn't my personal preference.
Nonetheless, many pros for portraits utilize the two.
Once you get comfortable with 3+1 aspect of exposure, you'll move up to manual and won't want to leave :) 3+1 = ISO, aperture, shutter, speed + flash(s).

Ideally, its better to have off-camera. but if it isn't possible, bounce it around against all sorts of surfaces and see the funky results you'll get.

good luck

and most will say if youre shooting under 1/200 you need both a tripod and a stationary subject...
is there a WRONG ANSWER NOISE BUTTON HERE?!
Where does it say that you need to shoot under 1/200 for stationary? Flash freeze action. If flash reaches the subject it'll freeze the subject's motion. Yes, at 1/60 doing movement/action is a bit tricky b/c motion blur will occur but once again flash freezes action. By your theory, I can't shoot reception at anything less then 1/200s and yet, I'm at 1/125 iso 400, with dance floor at f/8 and background at 5.6 no problem oh and I don't have VR on my main lens.
One of photographers I work for/with, shoot everything at 1/60. Portraits on tripod, everything else in hand and yet again - no problems.
i meant to say when shooting, if youre shooting at UNDER 1/200 without a flash, it will most likely be blurry, did not put it into context :p

i meant to say when shooting, if youre shooting at UNDER 1/200 without a flash, it will most likely be blurry, did not put it into context :p
I hate being an @$$ but I'll disagree with you once again. Yank out two 100W bulbs on a night light and take that disgusting yellow diffuser thing that they all come with. Set it near (about 1.5 feet from your subject 45* w/ respect to subject camera line) close enough to illuminate and yet not be in the frame - sure it'll be flat as a wall, but its light. Then readjust the WB. ISO b/n 800-1600 (many older/ consumer models can't really pull that off flawlessly thus B&W is nice with some grain/noise :). Shutter speed b/n 1/30-1/80. Lenses she wrote seem like kit lenses - adjust it to 100-150mm (35mm format), it'll probably be something about 50-70 on hers (don't know the crop factor) and shoot it.
Now, it ain't optimum result, even in situations like these, where no external flash available, I'd say yank a DIY pop-up flash diffuser DIY: DSLR Pop-up Flash Diffuser - Digital Camera Reviews & Photography Tips and have a blast :D

Most reactions

Back