TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In NC, but currently my husband and I are workcamp
Website
www.photographyandartbyrita.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm going to submit some photos along with an article I've written to some publications. Most ask for captions of the photos. I have the Photographer's Market and The Writer's Market and cannot find any instructions anywhere on where to put the captions.

I've read guidelines, done Google searches, and searched this site, but could not find the info that I need.

Is there anyone out there who can advise me or send me a link about this?

Thanks in advance
Rere

Won't just listing off the caption for each image's filename be enough for the printer/publisher?

In addition to the list of filenames and matching captions, I would suggest that you fill in the appropriate IPTC fields in each file's header. This can easily be done in either Photoshop or Bridge (and presumably Lightroom) using the "File Info" option. There are other utilities and applications that provide the same function.

In addition to the list of filenames and matching captions, I would suggest that you fill in the appropriate IPTC fields in each file's header. This can easily be done in either Photoshop or Bridge (and presumably Lightroom) using the "File Info" option. There are other utilities and applications that provide the same function.

Dwig has got it correct. And be sure to completely fill out all fields. I have been in the AD's chair and bounced many photographers that could not pull off this extremely important task.

Love & Bass

I would suggest that you fill in the appropriate IPTC fields in each file's header.

I always thought that was akin to exif - automatic... Is that not the case?

I would suggest that you fill in the appropriate IPTC fields in each file's header.

I always thought that was akin to exif - automatic... Is that not the case?

Akin to EXIF? Yes. Automatic? No, how could it be? How could the camera know the wording of the caption you want?

The IPTC fields were created by and for the newpaper and magazine world. The can exist in a wide range of file types, no just digital images. There are standard fields for description, caption, keywords, creator, credit/byline, creation date, copyright status, ... .

Unlike EXIF, where the camera can know the needed info, IPTC fields can't be filled in automatically. Some applications and utilities that manipulate these fields support having "templates" that can be pre-configured with standard information that fits an individual user's needs (e.g. copyright holder's name and URL, ...).

Ah - so IPTC are the "tags", basically...?

and your copyright statement, and the usage terms for that particular image, and your contact info...........

XMP/IPTC Field headings:

• Tags
  • Description
  • Contact
  • Content
  • Origin
  • Categories

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back