How are these photos edited?

Processing digital images can't be done cookbook style. Its not a "use this setting and get that result" sort of thing. Every image requires that you have a vision of what you want and the knowledge of the software's controls so that you can achieve the right look.

The images you point to vary a good deal. Many, though, do show a high level of color saturation, the type of thing often achieve with controls like Photoshop's Vibrance and Saturation controls.

Some of the attributes of the images come from the lenses chosen and how those lenses were used. These attributes can't be replicated well in post processing.

Do you know what an EXIF reader is? You can click on an image and read the information.

www.opanda.com of www.photome.de

I do, and I usually have been happy with what Lightroom can give me, but this utility is awesome!

On another note, I was really looking for the editing tips. I will try and examine some of the photos on his site and see what he's using.

pics look nice, but horizontal scrolling? ugh.

*edit*
nevermind...i bumped up this crappy work computer to 1280x1024, and its ok.
(they still should have designed for 1024 though.) ;)

agreed, but some places still use it...

in FACT...i was shocked several weeks ago when i got a clients web standards and guidlines packet, and they require all sites that will be hosted on their servers to be designed for 800x600...UGH.

sry...back on topic. :D

Most of the work, at least half of it, is very heavy "action" work, done very much in cookbook style. The camera used is a Nikon D700, the lenses usually a 50mm Nikkor f/1.4 with awful looking bokeh, and the 24-70 AF-S, and the 70-200 VR Nikkor. 90 percent of this work's look is from actions and post work. I spent 10 minutes looked at 20 or so of his pages.

Virtually ALL of the "look" associated with the wide aperture,close-range, 50mm range stuff is due to the full-format camera and the way the large capture area renders shallow depth of field at normal, conventional working distances; you will not get this "look" shooting APS-C from farther away with longer lenses.

I forget who said it, but if your "style" comes from an action, or a post processing technique, or a workflow, it isn't really a "style"-- it's something else. And this work is something else. Stop by some of the sites that sell these actions,and you'll be able to buy the actions for a few bucks each.

Poorly?

It just looks to me like someone punked the saturation slider and went overboard on the Eye PP. Do people not look at photos after they slam sliders to the right? They're so over-saturated that the red channel is clipped in almost any photo that has red in it. All the blue skies have wicked banding issues.

Guidance: Get Lightroom 2, import images, go ape**** on the sliders, export images. Done.

The camera used is a Nikon D700, the lenses usually a 50mm Nikkor f/1.4 with awful looking bokeh,

Indeed. Looks like he used a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S (although I can't see it from the EXIF data). That's the kind of IQ I've come to expect from that lens, at least at wide apertures. It's horrible wide open. It's much better when stopped down to f/2.8 or so, but still not great.

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is much better suited for the look he's after.

Do you know what an EXIF reader is? You can click on an image and read the camera settings information.

www.opanda.com of www.photome.de

At the least they are post processing on the eyes.

If you are using the Opera browser its even easier. Simply right click on the image directly on the web page and select Image Properties from the menu. No need to download an image and use a separate app.

Most reactions

Back