How are these results being achieved?

alcatraz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am also an amateur photographer looking for advice and assistance. I found a website with some work that I would like to better understand.

Here is the site:
p1

How is Kevin achieving these results? Is he using a lens like a 50mm or 85mm to get that sharp focus on the pinball while blurring the rest away? Can you even get that close with 85mm? I tried just now and my lens wouldnt focus when I got that close to my subject.

Or, maybe this is more of a photoshop job?

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

it's possible that the photographer is using a macro lens, but i don't see the reflection in the pinball, unless s/he PS'd it out. for the sharp focus and blurry background, i think it's just good control of DOF but i could be wrong

Here's a summary of the EXIF data for the first photograph (some of the others have very similar data):

* Camera Model = Canon PowerShot S500
* Software/Firmware Version = Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
* Exposure Time = 1/15 second
* F-Stop = F2.8

And here is some info on one of the cameras used (the other one is a Powershot S900, also a P&S).

So my guess is that DOF was achieved with a wide aperture, plus maybe some blurring in post-processing. He also likely cloned his reflection out with Photoshop.

Ok, so a macro lens sounds likely...I dont have one yet.

Is it hard to photoshop the camera out of the pinball? How do you replace all of the reflection to the pinball or is that one of the tricks...get the camera reflection away from the good parts of the pinball? That seemed like it would work, but he seems awfully low in these shots, which doesn't play into that theory.

Thanks Invisible! How do I find that information on my own in the future, if you dont mind?

Most reactions

Back