How are YOU using networking sites to your advantage?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by ddeerreekk, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was wondering what you guys are doing in terms of networking online (facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc.).

I've found that facebook is great for getting an initial interest in people, since so many people see your work that they may never have seen had they not visited/joined the group.

I've also recently joined twitter and am finding it hard to get a following, but it looks like it will be better for keeping people's interest, since you're constantly updating things.

Would anybody be interested in posting their networking information so that we can hopefully join each others groups, follow each other, etc. and support ourselves and see what we're all up to?

Then again, maybe you guys aren't really that involved online, either way, discuss!!

-Derek

2. BKMOOD

BKMOOD TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't use them at all. I network the old fashioned way: I actually go outside and meet people and give away business cards and such. I shoot local college sports, people ask questions, I give them a card. I do portrait work once in a while. They refer me to other people. 90% of my work is by local word of mouth. I do pretty well.

I always have a camera in my hand outside. People ask questions. I give them a card. I can't stand Myspace, Facebook and the like . The collection of hundreds of imaginary friends tickle me. I think I'll stick with the few around the way I can actually hang out with.

I think I'm just old and not cool anymore.

3. phoenix83

phoenix83 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use facebook as well as word of mouth. The main reason I enjoy using facebook it allows me to tag people in their photo or vice or versa. Which means that all of their friends see their pics. Which normally gets me alot of interested new customers

4. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao: +1 :thumbup:

You get the customers/clients you market for. Personally I do not want or care for virtual clients but you can have them.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I enjoy meetin hot babes on myspace, does that count?

6. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it depends on your market. For me, I do a lot of bands and stuff (generally young people) and I've found it to be incredibly helpful. I've had more inquiries from people in the past month then I have all year. It's a great way to spread the word since a lot of these people I've never met and would have never heard about me had it not been that their friend or whoever joined my group.

7. bennielou

bennielou TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I totally pimp the net. It's free and easy. Just a little time intensive. I'm a bigtime tagger, and I've seen that it has helped my business greatly.

8. mcdoc

mcdoc TPF Noob!

I use facebook and twitter.
    I have friends from work, college in my facebook. I dont know much about my followers in twitter. I just use twitter to drive traffic to my website.

9. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have no wish to be "googable", so I stay completely off any of the social networks. :D

skieur

10. swoop_ds

swoop_ds TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that twitter is only meant for people trying to get website traffic, etc. I don't know anyone who actually uses it for personal stuff. Facebook is much better for that in my opinion because I could care less if my friend just brushed his teeth or ate an apple.

Having said that, I want to start using facebook, and possibly twitter, once I get my website up. It should be up in about a week. I also just started a blog if that counts for anything?
    -Dave

11. fashioneyes

fashioneyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +1 ... but I'd suggest getting a fan page and a custom URL

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

12. Energise

Energise TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    don't really understand hwo facebook or twitter work in terms of getting extra support.

I have got my friends to join my business facebook page but nothing more than that has happened. Am i missing something?