How big is your....

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
External storage drive? ;)

So how big is yours? I just filled a terrabyte drive and it took 2 years, that kinda terrifies me! All that data on one drive... I'm not going to say it and tease the storage gods but you know where I'm going with that thought...what if...

I'm thinking of going with smaller drives more often so in the case there is a failure less is at risk.

Thoughts?

Everything in triplicate. I have multiple terabyte drives; not because I have that many photos but because I have that many copies.

Joe

don't worry about it.
nothing will ever happen to your 2TB drive.
its all good.

6 x 3TB. Well, 1 is active, with a daily backup to a second one. Then there are the 2 rotating off-site backups, and 2 are archived materials (again, 1 is "active", the other is "backup").

Since I've been in the computer business (and I've had the first PC's - anyone remember the commodor 64?), I've lost a drive every year. Some lasted 3-4 years, some were only 1 year. So it's not "IF" the drive will fail, but "WHEN". All of my systems are mirrored (laptops as well as desktops), and one of the drives goes bad also about one a year. Sometimes you can rebuild the drive, sometimes you can't and have to replace the hardware. But I'm never lost data.

I have infinite space on my Amazon S3 account. They handle all the backing up and I write the check. Price is very reasonable, about the cost of a new TB drive ever year.

I have never backed up anything, and keep all my photos on my 4 year old laptop.

@ tiller: time to buy a lottery ticket. Because if your luck is that good, you should be able to monetize it. ;-)

memory card > computer > portable hard drive > NAS

I'm layered. Stuff will eventually reside on the 2 x 2tb NAS. Always 3 copies floating about.

2 x 2TB in my desktop - mirrored. Need to upgrade, as these are just about full.

Drobo 5N NAS for backups - currently 6.3TB online, but will also grow as I migrate desktop drives over there.

2x 640GB RAID1 internal on desktop, 1TB backup #1 internal on desktop, 5 or 6 external portable hard drives ranging from ~320GB to 2TB each, Synology 5 bay expandable NAS currently with 2x 4TB enterprise level drives and 1x 500GB drive.

I've usually got at least 2, but mostly 3 copies of images (both raw and edited) in separate physical locations similar to brightbynature's setup.

1 TB drives x however many it takes. Currently, I have five--well, three 1TBs and two 500gbs. I always have one "main" drive and one backup. When I transfer the photos from my sd card, I move them to the main drive. THEN, I make a backup on the second drive. Then, I delete them off the sd card, only when I've verified that I have two good copies. At that point, I do all my editing on the main drive files and then make copies of any edited photos on the backup drive as well.

I sometimes do the double-backups thing, but right now, I'm just hoping that I've got enough drive space to get me through till January with an original and a backup, because I'm about to buy a car and the budget will get pretty tight for a couple of months!

The way I figure it, drives are relatively cheap compared to the risk of losing your photos because you don't have a backup. Sure, the CHANCE of it happening are slim, but it DOES happen. In fact, I'm currently working on trying to recover all of my sister photos from about 2009-2011 from a drive she had that somehow stopped working. She did have a backup of the photos…on her laptop. Which had been stolen about a month before the drive failed. So, yeah, even 3 copies is really NOT overkill.

I don't care about most of my pictures.

Family stuff is culled and whatever's ok is uploaded to someplace for sharing with family. Other stuff is mostly disposable, I don't worry about it. The stuff I care about I back up to SD cards from time to time. There's not that much of it.

I cull pretty ruthlessly.

External storage drive? ;)

So how big is yours?
Fistly I don't drive my storage :biglaugh:Then my storage is internal, I always keep it inside the house. :biglaugh:How big ? Three cupboards on the wall, four large plastic containers under my darkroom table, six banker boxes full of gear. And yet still lots of stuff just laying around on shelves and desks. Failure of this system of storage is, that sometimes I fail to find what I need ! :biglaugh:Oh, life is fun....

@ tiller: time to buy a lottery ticket. Because if your luck is that good, you should be able to monetize it. ;-)

Buying $20 worth of lottery tickets is a 100% way of losing $20 ;)

I keep meaning to but a portable HD. I just never seem to get around to it.

I forgot to mention medium size fridge for films. That to :roll:.

Most reactions

Back