How big is your....

Yeah, because they were all wanting to be exceedingly safe so they would ship their external hard drives by 5 different carriers. Big hassle and terribly expensive, not to mention how costly the thousands of miles of USB cable necessary to connect their drives to their computer. :mrgreen:

Don't you have any next door neighbors, trusted friends, family members or a workplace?

I have a neighbor who has a key to my house. They collect my mail and take care of my pets when I'm gone for any length of time. How difficult do you think it is to ask them to store an external drive in their safe (just like I have one of theirs in mine)?

Is taking a back-up drive to your office and putting in a desk drawer too difficult?

Are the logistics of such simple actions too complicated?

Yeah, because they were all wanting to be exceedingly safe so they would ship their external hard drives by 5 different carriers. Big hassle and terribly expensive, not to mention how costly the thousands of miles of USB cable necessary to connect their drives to their computer. :mrgreen:

Don't you have any next door neighbors, trusted friends, family members or a workplace?

I have a neighbor who has a key to my house. They collect my mail and take care of my pets when I'm gone for any length of time. How difficult do you think it is to ask them to store an external drive in their safe (just like I have one of theirs in mine)?

Is taking a back-up drive to your office and putting in a desk drawer too difficult?

See also,
[h=3]TPF Across America - The Journey of One Lens Across the USA - Round 2[/h]

I cull super hard and keep only my 4 and 5 star images in LR. I don't need a crap load of storage because I dump a lot. I have two 1-TB external backups and have filled neither of them. Not even close. I only keep 5 LR backups at a time.

Lol.. well probably shouldn't admit this but I don't cull - at all. I've still got every single photo I've taken with the D5100. Now I've only gotten back into photography recently here so that's only a few months worth of images granted - but I haven't started culling yet for two reasons. First and foremost because I like having the non-keepers around for reference. I find it a good exercise to go back through them and see what went wrong, examine the EXIF data, try to use that to improve the images I'm taking now.

Second, well because the amount of drive space taken up by the pictures is so neglible compared to what I actually have available that it just hasn't been worth the effort to go back through them yet and decide what to keep and what to delete. I most likely will eventually, but it just really hasn't been an issue so for now I'm just rather hoping that if I ignore it long enough it will sort itself out.. lol

For me it's not and I have a perfectly workable and entirely safe setup. For all my European friends however, meeting YOUR REQUIREMENTS of storing them at USPS ADDRESSES is a bit more complicated, difficult and costly. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

For me it's not and I have a perfectly workable and entirely safe setup. For all my European friends however, meeting YOUR REQUIREMENTS of storing them at USPS ADDRESSES is a bit more complicated, difficult and costly. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Strange.

If I walked into a post office in the US with a package addressed to just about anywhere in the world , it would get delivered.

I guess you're just too hung up on shipping out of the country. But hey, if your obsessions are what gratify you, who am I to deny you?

Me..... I'm going out shooting. I'll leave it to you to fret over others back-up methods and over-complicate heating up Pop-Tarts.

External storage drive? ;)

So how big is yours? I just filled a terrabyte drive and it took 2 years, that kinda terrifies me! All that data on one drive... I'm not going to say it and tease the storage gods but you know where I'm going with that thought...what if...

I'm thinking of going with smaller drives more often so in the case there is a failure less is at risk.

Thoughts?

12 TB of storage fuzzy bunny

I have a 500gb external Maxtor drive and a 2tb WD Passport drive. I run True Image backups to each and also just copy photo folders and Lightroom catalog to each. Nuttin' fancy.

As a non-professional, I really don't have much reason to keep every 'keeper' photo I've taken in RAW, SOOC JPG (for 'just in case'), edited JPG, and 'final list' JPGs. My 'audience' is primarily myself and the various people in the photos I've taken during non-wedding church events. But once it's all done, I can't recall having to go back for any of them other than to use as screen savers at work.

So why do I keep all sorts of copies of these photos, in triplicate? (1 offsite). Beats me. Perhaps because buying a bigger hard drive or 3 gets cheaper every year. At least I HAVE been fairly regular at deleting the RAWs after I'm all done and happy. But as I've upgraded cameras through the years, the size of the RAW files has gone from not-too-bad to DISK EATING MONSTERS!!!

As a computer geek, I well recall the cost of replacing the 10 MEGABYTE (MEGs, not GIGs!) drive in my IBM PC-XT was $2000. 3-4 years later, a brand-new 20 MEG RLL hard drive was in the neighborhood of $400...installation extra. So 1TB drives for under $100 these days, I guess that beats having to actually decide WHAT to cull to make room for more.

Most reactions

Back