how can I approach people?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by cactus waltz, Nov 23, 2004.

1. cactus waltz

cactus waltz TPF Noob!

This has been by big problem with photography. If you've seen my photos, they are all of material things. Though, what I adore are people shots. My friends and family aren't really photo people, they are sort of tired of me taking pictures of them anyhow.

How do I take pictures of strangers? I feel like a thief, sneaking around corners.

2. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hit a crowd of folks and snap away. Put an ad in a local paper asking for models who want to swap the session for the pics...i've seen this done loads of times.

3. cactus waltz

cactus waltz TPF Noob!

I guess that sort of rules taking pictures of people in a natural setting, but it's still a very interesting suggestion. Has anybody tried this?

I can imagine that it would put some pressure on you, with the expectations from the model and all.

4. mavrik

mavrik TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. Bokeh

Bokeh TPF Noob!

Often what I do, and I didn't plan it this way, it just happened, is I take shots of other people and kids when my kids are at the part playing. I've never had anyone noticed, not once. Just send your kid over by another kid and shoot away!! :) cya

6. rdodson

rdodson TPF Noob!

Dude, I've got to get a kid!

7. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Who said you can't take these people out into the public and photograph them there? Take them to a busy street and focus on them.

Don't be shy when approaching people to ask if you can photograph them. Walk up to them with a smile and ask them nicely if they'd mind if you took a couple of pictures of them whilst they are doing whatever it was they were doing. The worst that will happen is that they'll tell you to go away. If they say that, that is what you do. :)

I'll point out here though, that I've never tried it. :mrgreen: But just think about how you'd react if someone asked you to be a model for a couple of shots as you walked down the street. You'd either say no thank you or say yes. Nothing too scary, right?

Oh, and don't wear a long coat when you ask them to be in your photos. And make sure the smile doesn't look like you're possessed. You will get a totally difference response to what you want otherwise.

8. cactus waltz

cactus waltz TPF Noob!

Haha, geez. I'm 20 years old. Maybe I could borrow a kid from somebody. :lol:

Ferny: I might gather up courage to do that, I'll see. I live in a small town though, I can't really hide behind anonymousity.

9. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

That may work to your advantage. Once they realise you're not out to make them look idiots or just out to annoy them they may be more inclined to say yes when you ask them.

10. Bokeh

Bokeh TPF Noob!

LOL, yes I suppose those who don't have kids could get one for the purpose of aiding their photographical endevaors; of course, they'd have to shell out faaaar more in $ than they would ever make, give up about 30% of their freedom, get up late nights for the first year, etc. etc. ;)

But then... the rewards faaaar outweight the costs :D

11. Shutterbug

Shutterbug TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I usually give then a card and offer them a print of the final shot. It's only common courtesy =P

Very few call and actually want one, though.

12. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

As mrSid would say, A gun would work well ;) (sarcastic)