How can I give back ??

mahum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am ging to invest in a canon 7D and a 50mm 1.4, and a 70-200mm2.8. i am looking for a way to give back to my community through my photography skills. I do not have a photography business, I just want to see if I can do something for someone else, while enjoying my hobby. I am not looking for any profit, I just would like to make use of my equipment. Any ideas ???
So far, my only idea was to maybe do some senior pix of kids whose parents maybe can not afford any pictures. Then just give them the CD to have the ones printed they want........

Yeah i have thought a lot about the same thing. And the first thing that came to mind was the senior pictures.

How about taking pictures for some local small business that are looking to make a web site or for flyers and such. Im sure that would be helpful. Or maybe baby/family pictures for someone who couldnt afford it.
Try checking out the local schools, church's and donation centers for info on families that might be interested.

Thats what i thougt of. Hope it helps. let us know what you try doing.

-Gian

Yeah i have thought a lot about the same thing. And the first thing that came to mind was the senior pictures.

How about taking pictures for some local small business that are looking to make a web site or for flyers and such. Im sure that would be helpful. Or maybe baby/family pictures for someone who couldnt afford it.
Try checking out the local schools, church's and donation centers for info on families that might be interested.

-Gian
thank you, I will keep thinking and praying about it. Let me know if you come up with anything for yourself, as well........

Mahum
Either go through the library or the town hall, providing them with a number of shots showing off the village. Donate the shots, with framing. Make the shots different and interesting, something you and the town will be proud of. Get creative, this can be performed in so many ways.

If you pick one group, another group in the town may feel left out.
Also, if this is successful, you can then extend it over time to some groups.
JMHO

-Gian
That sure helps a local business but not the entire community.

Have you tried contacting local non-profits? Try local shelters, churches, and other organizations and see if they need anything. Offer your services to local cultural events like symphonies or plays.

There are lots of ways to help and its great you're interested in offering your services.

-Gian

Exactly.

Mahum
Either go through the library or the town hall, providing them with a number of shots showing off the village. Donate the shots, with framing. Make the shots different and interesting, something you and the town will be proud of. Get creative, this can be performed in so many ways.

If you pick one group, another group in the town may feel left out.
Also, if this is successful, you can then extend it over time to some groups.
JMHO

That's not a bad idea, i've heard that suggested before, the historical society i think would love pictures of the city, people, and architecture for reference. It's like a time capsule, but safe, and people will actually see it 150 years from now.

You may think about looking into local fundraisers at the schools or Chamber of Commerce and donating framed prints, or photo sessions as a prize for an auction. You might think about donating your time for state funded daycares (low income) to go in and do Easter portraits for the kids to take home, etc.

I would look up and get in touch with your Community Outreach and find out if there is anything you can do or offer or what they suggest.

Good luck!

-Gian

Exactly.
QUOTE]

Are you guys serious. Your telling me that helping out a local business is not supporting the community?

I like the ideas, I will try to expand on these thoughts and post any new ideas. Thanks for your input............don't stop now !!!!

I like the ideas, I will try to expand on these thoughts and post any new ideas. Thanks for your input............don't stop now !!!!
If you have a Veterans Hospital nearby, you can help recovering veterans to communicate home with pictures. Many are recouping in hospitals that are not geographically close to their homes and families. Most often, the family cannot afford to reside away from their homes, and therfore are seperated from their families. You can contact the patient representitive or the Chaplain's office to set something up.

J.:mrgreen:

Hi friends -
I am a volunteer for "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" (NILMDTS)
You can find more even hereHome - Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

This organization reaches out to parents during infant loss and provides heirloom quality portraits of little ones where there would otherwise be none. Hard? Absolutely. But for the parents it is one little comfort in their overwhelming grief. Please let me know if you have any questions about volunteering. The website explains it very well!

Hi friends -
I am a volunteer for "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" (NILMDTS)
You can find more even hereHome - Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

This organization reaches out to parents during infant loss and provides heirloom quality portraits of little ones where there would otherwise be none. Hard? Absolutely. But for the parents it is one little comfort in their overwhelming grief. Please let me know if you have any questions about volunteering. The website explains it very well!
Actually, that is what gave me the idea, but zi gave up when I saw on the website that I would have to go quite a distance for training etc. I thought the program is amazing. I think it would be right up my alley.
My closest hospital would be Heartland Health, St. Joseph, Missouri.

[/quote]
Actually, that is what gave me the idea, but zi gave up when I saw on the website that I would have to go quite a distance for training etc. I thought the program is amazing. I think it would be right up my alley.
My closest hospital would be Heartland Health, St. Joseph, Missouri.[/QUOTE]

Marsha,
Training is not required. There is a qualification period where they review your work. They recommend the training, but it is only in certain areas at certain times - it is basically the manual anyways. You have an area coordinator who will meet with you and go over the basics once you are approved. If you think you have the heart for it, apply! We always need more people!

My closest hospital would be Heartland Health, St. Joseph, Missouri.[/QUOTE]

Marsha,
Training is not required. There is a qualification period where they review your work. They recommend the training, but it is only in certain areas at certain times - it is basically the manual anyways. You have an area coordinator who will meet with you and go over the basics once you are approved. If you think you have the heart for it, apply! We always need more people![/QUOTE]
I am going to check into this for sure>> thank you for answering my thread........

Most reactions

Back