How can I give my photos that "oomph"?

TamiyaGuy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking around for a while on Google to look for a Photoshop technique that gives my photos that sudden "burst" of colour and contrast (and no, it isn't saturation or contrast :p). The result I'm looking for is something like this: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/151376-canon-g10-does-daytona-beach.html. I know the poster actually used Topaz adjust, but is there any way of replicating this in Photoshop CS3? I've tried an awful lot, but everything seems to make my photos look really weird & even dull.

Thanks, TG.

I've been looking around for a while on Google to look for a Photoshop technique that gives my photos that sudden "burst" of colour and contrast (and no, it isn't saturation or contrast :p). The result I'm looking for is something like this: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/151376-canon-g10-does-daytona-beach.html. I know the poster actually used Topaz adjust, but is there any way of replicating this in Photoshop CS3? I've tried an awful lot, but everything seems to make my photos look really weird & even dull.

Thanks, TG.

Post some (not a lot) of your photos that you think would benefit from a sudden "burst" of colour and contrast, and see what ppl suggest...
Post SOOC though...
Jedo

Thanks for the replies. I've looked at Local Contrast Enhancement, and I think that, coupled with some basic techniques, could be what I'm looking for.

In reply to Jedo's post, here is one of the photos that I'd like to adjust. I just want it to have that wonderful burst of colour and contrast without clipping the highlights or shadows. I was going to post this and some others in a TPF gallery topic, so I'll just give you a small version.

27y95rd.jpg

And yes, in the final version I will get rid of that baseball cap in the top-left. I used it to block out a streetlamp :lol:.

that image seems kind of soft though. you need to start with a really technically good picture if you want that "oomph" you talk about. trying to pp a pic w/ flaws is like trying to build a house on sand.

I'm not sure, but it might just be the resizing; the image is about as sharp as it could've got when I took it. If you just mean that it isn't that good a photo, then I have to agree with you. I'll try and explain it better in this gallery I'm going to post.

You can get the same effect by tone mapping an image in Photomatix..... its your basic HDR look.

I must admit, that isn't the exact look I'm going for, tonemapping regular images isn't my thing. I just know I've seen it before.

Edit: Aha, I think I've found it. Little Red C1 Corvette on Flickr - Photo Sharing! I'd love my images to look a bit more like that, just with that gorgeous burst of colour and detail without losing the highlights or shadows.

That first image looks like an hdr to me..

Actually most of them do.

Last edited:
Ya definately look even around the top edges of the trees it looks kind of bad imo.

Most reactions

Back