How can I improve people's lives through photography?

Darthcolo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to find my passion. I think that photography could be it. So I would love to know ways in which people's lives could be improved trough a photograph.

1. Print some of your better shots, have them matted and framed, then donate them to charity auctions, or such.
2. Provide free portraits of terminally ill children for their families. There's an organization that coordinates this, though I don't recall the name. You should be able to search for it.

Buy them a top of the range dslr that would make most people happy, but personally I do photography for myself not others

^Not sure what the organization for terminally ill children is, but there is also an organization called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep that takes pictures of stillborn babies or other newborns who will not survive long. I personally know several who have benefited from that organization and have thought about volunteering as a photographer for them, but I don't think I could handle the emotional burden of it.

There are also LOTS of organizations that would love to have photographers document their events and provide photos to participants. Special Olympics and other non-profits.

Include a free car with every print you give.

. . . there is also an organization called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep that takes pictures of stillborn babies or other newborns who will not survive long. I personally know several who have benefited from that organization and have thought about volunteering as a photographer for them, but I don't think I could handle the emotional burden of it.

There are also LOTS of organizations that would love to have photographers document their events and provide photos to participants. Special Olympics and other non-profits.
This is what I was thinking of - I'm just a little confused this morning.
Yes, as Sharon has said, there are many organizations that would love this kind of help. You could also contact you local human / social services agencies; they generally work with smaller non-profit / charities and might be able to get you in touch with someone.

Include a free car with every print you give.

But don't do like what happened on a previous give-away and leave the the car-receiver to pay the (unexpected) taxes for getting the gift.

Before thinking of photography as your path to become a social justice warrior, try actually seeing if you like and are good at photography so that it becomes a worthwhile pursuit for you.

Yes you can pay taxes forwards, but: If you gift a car that's under $14,000, then it can be tax free-- so give a Nissan Versa. There's a tax exclusion.

But honestly assuming the lowest tax bracket, would you rather have a $30,000 car that costs you $2,400 (15% taxes on $16,000)? or spend $30,000 + sales taxes on that same car? or no car at all because you'd still have to pay earned income on it and it's the principle of the thing to you?

Our olympic athletes have to pay 40% taxes towards their olympic medal winnings.

it cost tom brady $60,000 to win the super bowl.

you have to pay taxes.

Charlie and Sharon both have excellent ideas - another way is to work with people. Vis... I had a call last December from a young lady (~17ish) who wanted a portrait session with her grand-parents, because, like so many families, they really had no nice family photos. She asked what it would cost, and I told her, she then asked if there was "anything cheaper" and I asked what she had in mind. She explained that she was a high-school student, worked part-time as a check-out girl at the local market, etc and what she could afford. It turned out, to be about $250 less than I would normally bill for the job, but I wasn't going to lose money on it, so I said, "Okay we can do it for that". She got the prints in January and the whole family was very happy with them. Her grand-father passed away two weeks ago....

I would love to know ways in which people's lives could be improved trough a photograph.
I think most people appreciate a well-done photograph. You can sell or give your photographs to people who like them and are gladdened to see/own a work of art.

Being happy is an improvement over not being happy.

For 30+ years I improved peoples lives by charging them to make nice photos of them they could share at home or at work with their family, friends, and acquaintances.

I also improved peoples lives by making fine art prints that they could buy in any of several galleries.
I Improved peoples lives by making photos for non-profit organizations. I charged the non-profits full price, but if I believed in what the non-profit did I would give a personal donation that was usually substantially larger than what I charged to make photos for the non-profit.

The point being that improving peoples lives by doing photography doesn't automatically mean shooting for free or giving some kind of gift.

I'm trying to find my passion. I think that photography could be it. So I would love to know ways in which people's lives could be improved trough a photograph.
There are so many many ways, both big and small. It is all dependant upon your level of passion, skill and time. A big way is through photojournalism. Bringing important, meaningful, useful and entertaining stories into peoples homes and lives. A small way is to share images in and about your neighborhood and daily life. Example, a neighbor gardens, shoot the garden for them, shoot them enjoying their passion. Another neighbor has a birthday party, shoot the party, another neighbor get a new cat, et cetera. There are plenty of places and organizations to volunteer your services who would been extremely greatful, from schools to clubs to local theatre to city hall and your local library. Teach what you know ... post some flyers and start a beginning photo class. Your opportunities for photography and helping others are only limited by your reach and imagination.

PS- This afternoon I am shooting the dress rehearsal for a talent show at a local high school. I shoot pro-bono and give the kids the images.

Last edited:
Before thinking of photography as your path to become a social justice warrior, try actually seeing if you like and are good at photography so that it becomes a worthwhile pursuit for you.

On the other hand, if it turns out that the OP does NOT like photography, or isn't good at it, they can STILL use it to help people…just sell the camera and give the money to a charitable cause. :D

Give them all your camera gear.:1247: What they said.

Most reactions

Back