How can I improve...

kamilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new here...and so amazed by the work presented here. There are so clear and sharp.When taking landscape photographs is tripod necessary?
I have digital camera and two lenses 28-70mm,2.8 and 70-300mm, 3.5.

kamilla said:
I'm new here...and so amazed by the work presented here. There are so clear and sharp. I'm looking for any tips that can help me to increase the quality. (tripod, photoshop. lenses etc.)Thanks for any help:D

You're welcome, kamilla. Twice.
But what is your specific question?

A tripod is not always necessary. A stable camera support always contributes to sharpness, however. Welcome aboard.

The rule of thumb for shooting hand held (with 35mm) is that you will need a shutter speed that is as fast or faster than your focal length. So if you are shooting at 50mm...you will want a shutter speed of at least 1/50 of a second. If you are shooting at 300mm...then you will want a shutter speed of 1/300 etc.

If you are using a DSLR with a sensor smaller than 35mm film (which is most DSLRs)...then people say that you should take the crop factor into account...so on a Canon Rebel XT (for example) the factor is 1.6...so at 300mm you would need a shutter speed of 1/480 or faster.

This rule is to avoid blurriness due to camera shake. Some people are more steady than others. Good posture and technique will really help. However, putting the camera on some sort of support will really, really help. For maximum sharpness you should use a support and fire the shutter with a remote or the self timer. Some cameras even have MLU (mirror lock up), which will flip up the mirror well before the shutter opens...just to avoid the vibrations that the mirror will cause.

I would say a good tripod is a must for landscape photography. When you are shooting at sunset or sunlight at f11 then the exposure will be around 1 to 5 seconds.

Make sure you have a smaller aperture (larger 'f' number). Somewhere between f8 - f11. That will make more of the photograph appear in focus (sharp).

I would definitely say a tripod is needed for low light shooting. You'll get sharper results and it allows you get different types of shots (macro, low light, nite time, telephoto, etc.).

Most reactions

Back