How can I learn more about sports?

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I am trying to get more versed in all types of sports (track, football (both types), basketball, tennis, etc.). And even though I am a teenage boy I wasn't really into sports. I hated playing them and I wasn't really interested in knowing more about them. But now I regret that because A) I'm not in shape. & B) I haven't got a clue whats going on when I'm taking pictures. Even though I don't know whats going on, I still love sports photography. And I hope to shoot it for a long time.

So does anyone know a good resource that I can go to that can teach the fundamentals of sports so I know what to look for out on the field? I ask this because all the things I read about sports photography says that you should know the sport your shooting well.

Thanks!

There are hundreds of different sports. Your best bet would be to google the rulebook for certain major sports that you'd like to shoot and determine what kind of action takes place when/where. You could also try youtube for video of said sport and learn where the action happens.

get fake id*
go to the bar*
get drunk*
watch sports

*just kidding

your best bet is to just take pictures of who ever has the ball in their hand, and take pictures when they are about to throw it or shoot it.

track shouldnt be hard to shoot, all they do is run really.

football take pictures when whoever has the ball is about to throw it, kick it, or is about to get tackled.

i dont know much about sports, and only shot cars before but by looking at other photos this seems to be key.

I'm really surprised young people don't use the Internet anywhere near effectively.

To be really good at sports photography you have to understand sports strategies so you can anticipate where and what kind of action to expect.

Knowing the rules could be helpful too but.....

An example:

American football strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most reactions

Back