How can I reproduce this ...

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife saw this picture and wants to know if it's possible to get these results w/o going to a portrait studio. I have no experience with indoor picture taking ... portraits ... etc.

adele.jpg

Of course it's possible but you have to be able to control your light sources.

An SB 600 of camera, from an umbrella.

Really you just need a window with good direct light that is a lot brighter than the rest of the room, and proper arrangement of the subject and metering. Controlling your light sources means more than just having more gear-- it's about seeing where light is falling and changing your subject and shooting to match.

An SB 600 of camera, from an umbrella.

Will sadly not work. The D40 does not operate as a wireless commander. So triggering the SB600 is impossible (this show was done with the flash off camera obviously).

A cheap single light kid (for the D40) would be:

SB600 (with a sync cord - though this is limiting)
Umbrella
Lightstand

And while you are at it, you may as well get a proper reflector.

All told you should spend less than 100 bucks on everything (without the SB600 included).

Do a google search for Rembrandt Lighting.

This lighting style can be achieved, with a little practice, from a single lighting source somewhere around 45 degrees off front center and 45 degrees above the subject. The key to this effect is the lighted triangle under the eye opposite the light source.

The light source isn't all that important, as far as I'm concerned, provided it is powerful enough to light the face sufficiently. A clamp light with a daylight bulb is a cheap alternative to a speedlight.

You know, that raises a great point -- it strikes me that this isn't so much about having the right equipment as it is finding the right technique. So, heck, you might just whip out a Mag Lite or something, and give it a try before buying any additional gear...the worst it can do is fail miserably! :lol:

You know, that raises a great point -- it strikes me that this isn't so much about having the right equipment as it is finding the right technique. So, heck, you might just whip out a Mag Lite or something, and give it a try before buying any additional gear...the worst it can do is fail miserably! :lol:

Best advice yet. Even the tiny pocket one is probably good enough. Shoot RAW so you can play with the white balance.

Best advice yet. Even the tiny pocket one is probably good enough. Shoot RAW so you can play with the white balance.

Good luck getting that done with a pocket mag lite. You'd no doubt have to keep the shutter open for a LONG time, and then that defeats the purpose of canceling out the ambient light and letting in only the light from your light source.

I said probably. Most households have a flashlight of some kind. It was just a suggestion that even if all he had was the smaller version, it was worth a shot. Some have great light for their size.

Most reactions

Back