How can i secure my camera?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Ceakoth, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ceakoth

Ceakoth TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys, I'm pretty new to these forums, but I'm going on a trip to Italy in a few weeks and was wondering if you had some suggestions as to how i could keep my camera safe from getting stolen while I'm there. I considered leaving my camera behind, but realized that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to photograph some beautiful locations. Thanks for the help!

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    get insurance and don't' worry about it.

3. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    is your camera that expensive?
    If it's a really expensive camera...get insurance on it. If not...don't worry about it.

Plus, a camera is not the first thing I'd be looking to steal if I'm a thief. It's all about wallets and purses.

4. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Keep the damn thing around you neck 24/7, you will probably be using it all the time right?

If you decide not to take it out with you, leaving it in you hotel should be safe.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it's a trip why not get travel insurance that can cover anything that happens while you're in Italy, including but not limited to theft or damage to the camera.

6. patrickt

patrickt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A. Don't put it in your checked luggage.
    B. Don't leave it in your hotel room.
    C. Don't leave it on a table in a cafe while you go to the bathroom.

In my opinion, professional thieves rarely want cameras unless it's really something special. If it were to be taken it would be a crime of opportunity by a kid.

7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I was worried about this on my trip to Costa Rica last summer, as I'd just gotten my first dSLR and I wanted to be really careful with it. After a little inquiry, I found out that a lot of travel insurance companies are more geared towards personal injury and the like. The good news: if you have renters or home-owners insurance, they will cover the theft of a camera, even out of country. Renters insurance is much cheaper than travel insurance, you just have to check with your provider and find out what your policy will cover.

Another thing, just for peace of mind: Try and find hotel rooms with safes, it's good to lock up your most valuable stuff. I was able to keep my laptop locked up for most of the trip, and my camera when I wasn't using it (which was rare). Keep your camera bag on your person, only set it down at your feet and keep an eye on it. I know it sounds paranoid, but an ounce of prevention...

9. snra786

snra786 TPF Noob!

Keep it strapped around your neck, don't take a backpack, use a side bag.
    You should be ok; especially since you're camera shouldn't be out of your hands with all the beautiful pictures that you can take in Italy.

10. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And hand cuff yourself to your gadget bag too. Can't hurt. :) Really, just keep an eye on it and keep it close. I got in the habit of having the strap around my foot when I sit the bag on the floor. If you only have your camera, put it on the table when you sit down to eat. The closer the better.

11. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    superglue the viewfinder to your face the re-enforce with duct tape. You'll look a little funny but you'll always be ready to take pictures!

12. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    If they want that camera bad enough, thieves will get that camera. You can secure it to yourself all you want but that doesn't protect you from a mugging.

Just get insurance and not worry about it. other than that... just think common sense and stay inconspicuous.

Things I personally keep in mind.
    - Don't leave it laying around or make it obvious in plain view.
    - Don't leave it unsecured in hotel room.
    - Don't use a bag that is obviously a camera bag (camera backpack for example). I use regular messenger bags (the gap clothing store) with foam inserts.
    - I never put valuables into a car and walk away. Once I take the camera out, I don't re-stow them in the car until I'm ready to leave (or move) the car. Many find it way easier to break into a car than trying to steal from a person... It is common for them to stake out potential victims in parking lots during high shopping times (Xmas for example).
    - I generally prefer to keep the camera strapped to my hand not my neck which reminds me to return the camera to the bag once I'm done.