How come nobody uses png?

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just posing a question I wanted other people's opinions on. How come nobody uses PNG?
  • Png has lossless compression, that is completely reversible
  • Open standard
  • 48-bit and has alpha transparency
Sure PNG files take up more room than JPG's, but less than Tiff. To me it sounds like an ideal way to store digital images these days, where storage off camera isn't in that short of a supply. Most people have broadband these days so loading images wouldn't be that bad.

To learn more about PNG files, visit your local library or click http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngintro.html.

PNG is fine for home use if you want to use it... but for a forum such as this, the size difference from jpeg would be alot more, and with not much noticable difference in image quality.

The last I knew, IE implementation of PNG was less than perfect. I'm not sure if all of the new browsers have done better yet. I use TIFF because it supports layers. I'd use PNG over JPG for the web if it were more widely supported, and correctly. I love the alpha channels and gamma correction.

The last I knew, IE implementation of PNG was less than perfect. I'm not sure if all of the new browsers have done better yet. I use TIFF because it supports layers. I'd use PNG over JPG for the web if it were more widely supported, and correctly. I love the alpha channels and gamma correction.

IE 6 has no issues with normal PNG's, just transparent. (pathetically enough)

i always thought that .png was the mac version of .tiff (as .dmg is to .exe)
is there ANY truth to this? This would explain why microsoft didnt improve png support for IE

I use png files because they support transparency in Proshow. i can use them in layers to create some nice "windows" to view the images I show.

I use png because it's smaller than tif and jpg does not support transparency.

For everything else it's jpg or tif.

For photography, PNG doesn't really have a niche.

If you're doing serious retouching work, the RAW file or the DNF are both superior.

If you're tossing an image up on the web, JPG is superior because at that point lossless compression is really sort of pointless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back