How Crazy Am I?

table1349

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
First off, I am a hobbist. Have been for 30+ years. Years ago I worked for a fashion photographer and enjoyed it, however It did not appeal as a job I wanted to do. I have a totally different profession I love.

I shoot alot of sports for the local collage with my, Canon 30D's, Canon 70-200, 1.4 telecoerter. I also shoot wildlife, such that I can with the lenses I have. So here is my question. I never plan on trying to go pro, this is just a hobby I love.

I currently have about $4700 saved up for the Canon 400mm f2.8. ($6555.00 from B&H)

So how crazy is it for a hobbist to spend that much money on a single lens. I have no plans on leaving Canon, and I know I will be upgrading bodies over time. I was a Nikon film shooter since 1972 with F2's and a bunch of great glass collected over the years. It was the F2's I replace when I went digital with the 30D.

I have kept my eye on the prize in saving money, but sometimes when friends question spending that much on a lens It makes me have a bit of doubts.

It depends. Do you need the 400mm f2.8 to shoot the pictures you want to shoot? Can you afford it? Is getting the pictures that you want to shoot more important than something else you could get with that money? (Like, my first car. Or your rent.) Will you use it (or, how many times have you said "I can't get this shot with the gear I have.")? Is there another lens that would work to get you the shots that you want - like a 300 f4 or something?

It's a personal decision - it's not crazy for a hobbyist to get the gear he needs to enjoy his hobby. It sounds like you need something better to get the shots you want - but have you thought of renting this lens, and then renting a cheaper lens to compare?

(On the other hand, if you just want reassurance that it's ok to buy such a thing - yeah, sure, go ahead. Not like there are starving children in Africa who could use that money, mate. ;-P)

As a fellow hobbyist, I can't fault you for wanting that lens. I am in the school of thought that "you should buy the best that you can afford." But have you considered the other 400mm like the DO which is slightly cheaper. That 6K pricetag scares me! With a 1.4x TC in your arsenal, even the 300 f/2.8 IS could be an option. I restrained going out for about a month to save up scratch for my 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 300 f/4 IS. Scary how much one can spend on alcohol! I do use some of my photo for some of my work in design, but not really enough to justify what I spend on gear. Hopefully down the road I will be doing more work with my photos so I have that to look forward to. Well, that's my two cents.

Hey if it makes you happy and you can afford it without losing your home then go for it. I have had several people deride me for how much I have spent on cameras for a hobby, but they did not earn the money so they can go suck an egg. My opinion.

First off, to those that posted, thanks for the food for thought. That was what I was wanting. I have never spent this kind of money on a hobby all in one shot before and was beginning to have some doubts. As to the points raised well:

Do you need the 400mm f2.8 to shoot the pictures you want to shoot?

Yes, Nothing ruins you day more than an up close and personal moment with Smokey. Also, My arsenel is fine for Cross Country, Track, Volley Ball and Basketball as I can get plenty close. Football and Soccer however just needs more lens.

Can you afford it?

I'm getting there. I could easily buy it now from our savings, but that is not what savings are for. I have saved other money by cutting back on personal expenses.

Is getting the pictures that you want to shoot more important than something else you could get with that money?

If I had something I needed the money for it would be different. I only have two hobbies. Photography and woodworking and my shop has what I need.

Not like there are starving children in Africa who could use that money, mate.

That one didn't work on my kids when they were small and didn't want to eat their vegatables either. :lol:

but have you thought of renting this lens, and then renting a cheaper lens to compare?

Therein lies the desire, the lust the want.:drool:
Shouldn't have rented it once in the first place.

the 300 f/2.8 IS could be an option

I really thought about that one for a long time. I want the 2.8 for the low light capabilities so the 300 came to mind. The problem I see is for the nature I have the chance to shoot, The 300 is to short and 400 is just in the ball park barely. My daugher is a course leader at Philmont Scout Ranch again this sumer so I am taking a week off to deliver her to the Philmont and then spend a week shooting in New Mexico and southern Colorado. I have a second week of shooting in New Mexico this fall when I accompany my wife to Philmont where she will be teaching an adult leadership course. I will have the run of the mountains while I am there as she will be busy during the daytime. Philmont is pretty much pristine wilderness, and is kept that way as a high adventure camp for older scouts.

Hey if it makes you happy and you can afford it without losing your home then go for it.

Home is almost paid for. The oldest boy is out of collage and on his own. The middle child (a boy) is graduating from collage in three weeks with two degrees and the daughter has one more year at K-State. We have saved all of our lives for collage educations, retirement etc. and never squandered a dime of that money for anything. My wife and I did all the usual sacrifices of time and comforts/pleasures while they were growing up and now there is some disposible income at the end of the month. (What a shock that was when it happened.) Most of it goes to additional savings, but we have upgraded a few thing in our lives as well.

So I guess for now, I will keep my eye on the prize and keep saving. The final decision will come when I have the money saved and I am ready to hit that "Buy" button on B&H's web page. Who knows what might happen between now and then. Again, thanks all for the food for thought.

People wouldn't bat an eye if you spent $10,000 on a diamond for your wife which she might wear as much as you would use the lens. The lens is not nearly as expensive as a Corvette. You could easily blow that much on a one week vacation. What's the question again? ;) ;)

mike

It's YOUR money do with it as you please. But I personally am a tightwad and wouldn't do it. My philosophy has always been: " If you're not a tightwad, you won't have a wad."

First off, to those that posted, thanks for the food for thought. That was what I was wanting. I have never spent this kind of money on a hobby all in one shot before and was beginning to have some doubts. As to the points raised well:

Do you need the 400mm f2.8 to shoot the pictures you want to shoot?

Yes, Nothing ruins you day more than an up close and personal moment with Smokey. Also, My arsenel is fine for Cross Country, Track, Volley Ball and Basketball as I can get plenty close. Football and Soccer however just needs more lens.

Can you afford it?

I'm getting there. I could easily buy it now from our savings, but that is not what savings are for. I have saved other money by cutting back on personal expenses.

Is getting the pictures that you want to shoot more important than something else you could get with that money?

If I had something I needed the money for it would be different. I only have two hobbies. Photography and woodworking and my shop has what I need.

Not like there are starving children in Africa who could use that money, mate.

That one didn't work on my kids when they were small and didn't want to eat their vegatables either. :lol:

but have you thought of renting this lens, and then renting a cheaper lens to compare?

Therein lies the desire, the lust the want.:drool:
Shouldn't have rented it once in the first place.

the 300 f/2.8 IS could be an option

I really thought about that one for a long time. I want the 2.8 for the low light capabilities so the 300 came to mind. The problem I see is for the nature I have the chance to shoot, The 300 is to short and 400 is just in the ball park barely. My daugher is a course leader at Philmont Scout Ranch again this sumer so I am taking a week off to deliver her to the Philmont and then spend a week shooting in New Mexico and southern Colorado. I have a second week of shooting in New Mexico this fall when I accompany my wife to Philmont where she will be teaching an adult leadership course. I will have the run of the mountains while I am there as she will be busy during the daytime. Philmont is pretty much pristine wilderness, and is kept that way as a high adventure camp for older scouts.

Hey if it makes you happy and you can afford it without losing your home then go for it.

Home is almost paid for. The oldest boy is out of collage and on his own. The middle child (a boy) is graduating from collage in three weeks with two degrees and the daughter has one more year at K-State. We have saved all of our lives for collage educations, retirement etc. and never squandered a dime of that money for anything. My wife and I did all the usual sacrifices of time and comforts/pleasures while they were growing up and now there is some disposible income at the end of the month. (What a shock that was when it happened.) Most of it goes to additional savings, but we have upgraded a few thing in our lives as well.

So I guess for now, I will keep my eye on the prize and keep saving. The final decision will come when I have the money saved and I am ready to hit that "Buy" button on B&H's web page. Who knows what might happen between now and then. Again, thanks all for the food for thought.
Go for it. You can always return it, right?

It seems like you've got everything squared away, if I was in your position, I'd go for it and spend something for myself so I could enjoy my hobby to it's fullest and explore utmost creative freedom.

People wouldn't bat an eye if you spent $10,000 on a diamond for your wife which she might wear as much as you would use the lens. The lens is not nearly as expensive as a Corvette. You could easily blow that much on a one week vacation. What's the question again? ;) ;)

mike

I have just forwarded this to my wife. SEVERAL TIMES!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have the money then I don;t think it makes you crazy. There are way more expensive hobbies out there! I'm a hobbiest and have spent a small fortune on my gear but I get enjoyment out of it and thats what counts :)

You should go for it. You have asked all the right questions, and ultimately you want it. You will learn how to use it properly, how to get most out of it, and possibly become one of the more skilled users of that particular lens over time. And you can always recoup some of your cost if you find that you're using it less than you thought by selling it.

Which brings up my only question: have you evaluated buying a used one?

You should go for it. You have asked all the right questions, and ultimately you want it. You will learn how to use it properly, how to get most out of it, and possibly become one of the more skilled users of that particular lens over time. And you can always recoup some of your cost if you find that yu thouou're using it less than yoght by selling it.

Which brings up my only question: have you evaluated buying a used one?

I have and do daily. I routinely check the for sale forums of the forums I go to including sportshooters.com. This is just not a lens that I find offered that often and unfortunatly they get snapped up pretty quick. That and I am a litte short yet of the average prices I have seen this lens going for. But It is definately something I am going to continue to do. :)

Most reactions

Back