How did they achieve this look

Im liking the look of it too. Just need a LOT more practice to get to that point. I been watching mostly YouTube videos trying to learn and that was mostly shoot wide open and HSS and I love the looks of that too but this was different and interesting. Another one is Tim Kelly. I like what he has done. These are people that you all probably already know about but I am blown away with it.

I don't think anyone really questions why he processes skin that way. It's pretty clear that he's giving clients what they want; otherwise he wouldn't be so successful with that kind of processing. Really, it tells me more about the client than about the photographer. I quite frankly feel sorry for and/or scared of people who actually want to look like plastic serial killers. ;)

Bad photoshopping... those photos probably would be nice if it wasn't for the overdone processing (those backgrounds, around the people, geez). I guess some people like it. Besides photography, people often like the latest fad that never lasts long (thankfully).

I don't get what's meant by old fashioned, I don't see that in these pictures. Maybe it's along the lines of photoshopped images that are supposed to look like film but actually look nothing like images many of us shoot on film.

I don't know... I think it's art. You know some will like it and some will not. It's done him well and people seem to like it. This also seem to be a big thing within the PPA. Are their any members here?

These photos are like the Addams Family's portraits. A lot of skin retouching, very soft lighting, heavy burns around the subjects. They are like vampires, the undead folks.

I don't know... I think it's art. You know some will like it and some will not. It's done him well and people seem to like it. This also seem to be a big thing within the PPA. Are their any members here?

That's fine. People like it. It sells photos. Great, wonderful. No one has to justify liking the style. Similarly, no one has to justify not liking the style.

That photographer hand-painted each images. He must have spent 8 hours on each image and charged really high.
highly doubtful.

Basic studio lighting....with a studio backdrop...and a metric tonne of skin work on some. But, basically, this is what using a large electronic flash light source does; it creates a good, solid, generous exposure with fairly low-ratio lighting, which can then be edited to a farethewell if desired.

Please IGNORE the YouTube idiots that advise you to "shoot wide-open." Making good portraits is far,far,farrrrrrrrr more about things other than shooting wide-open. Using HSS flash outdoors at wider apertures is a new thing that many noobs with YouTube channels have jumped on, and they crank out video after video, espousing a cannard.

There is a HELL of a lot more to making a good picture than shooting wide-open. Anybody that emphasises wide-open aperture shooting is clearly in a learning stage...it's not a "mature" technical decision to make, and to advocate it as the correct course of action as the norm is just...stupid.

Oh....always drive your car in top gear and WOT (wide-open throttle).It's the best way to drive.

Last edited:

his photos remind me of the ones I'd see in shopping malls as a kid.

not my style, but a skilled photographer, dude just needs to stay out of photoshop.

Ots a good gallery thanks.

To andwer the OPs question, spend a lot of time lol. Good luck. This is pro work.

shoot wide open and HSS

Anyone that is stating this is the key to anything....needs to learn how to use their gear.

Wide open isn't a badge and can in many cases just make your life harder than it needs to be. It has it's place but it's not normally the first choice.

HSS, this one seems to be very popular lately. Even my cheap manual flashes have a 1/800 sec at full power. My manual studio strobes are 1/2000 sec at full power. You can't move fast enough to blur an image and using HSS to "over power the sun" again tells me these people need to learn more bout how to light things. I can do it without HSS and so can you.
Don't fall into the I have to because (insert youtube expert here) says so. Do your part by asking why? Why should I use HSS, why shoot wide open? Most photographers that claim YOU HAVE TO....... can't explain why.
Just like the Matrix, the why is your only real power.
P.S. Take the blue pill.

No disrespect intended toward anyone but I'm a little surprised by the overwhelming criticism of a "2nd generation" studio operation. Not a Craigslist super duper photographer but a brick and mortar operation that has withstood the test of time. You may not like his style but the fact remains his clients obviously do. I don't know the guy or anything about him, but if I was inclined to want to make a living in photography, I think I would be curious enough to observe his business model.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back