how did you find us?

Alison said:
I do believe I was brought in by the mighty Google as well. I was looking for other portrait/wedding photographers and quickly realized that there was awesome talent in the members here. I never imagined that joining here a year and a half ago would change my life in such a positive way :thumbsup:

My story is almost identical to Alison's. I wanted to find other photographers to go shoot with, used the mighty Google search and wandered in here. Nearly 2 years later, my life has definitely taken a positive turn. :mrgreen:

Actually, erm, I don't quite remember. I suddenly was here on 1 Feb 2004.
The Mighty Google may well have had His hands in this, though... :scratch: Yes, I think He did.
And I never lurked.
Was here, posted. And posted ... and posted ... and posted ... and posted ... ad infinitum..... ;)

yep.. google here to... I wanted to know something about my fuji s5000 and I fell here... and couldn't resist posting... posting.... like Corinna :D

One day I woke up and decided "I want to learn photography". I really dont know what brought it on but when something like that hits me I grab it with both hands and run with it.

The first thing I did of course was hit google. I was looking for basic knowledge sites first so I could learn the definitions of words, some of the basics of the hobby, then from there I started looking for forums. At first I was suprised at the lack of good forums (I have been using forums for a while and am kind of picky on what I want in a forum site and its community) and then I found what I thought was a pretty good site. Lots of members, lots of activity, a ton of content...

and enough elitism to make me want to puke. Someone would come in with basic questions and hammered with "read the FAQ noob" type responses. The place seemed to be "by professionsals for professionals" and if you are here to learn basics then you need to go away

So I did...

Back to google and started searching again when TPF showed up on the list. My first thought was how had I missed it in ALL my seaches before? My google-fu had failed me, but in the end I found this place.

I lurked for a couple of days and noticed immediatly that this forum was much much friendlier to the new people that wandered in with basic questions like "what is shutter speed". Finally I signed up but then about 3 days in I saw someone completely rip up another users pictures... I dont even remember who it was now but the "critique" was completely rude and uncalled for.

My first thought was that my initial impression of the forum was wrong. that in fact in the dark corners lurked trolls just waiting to pounce on some poor newbie like me who had the guts to finally post a picture to see how it was accepted by the community.

I looked for an ignore feature to put this troll on it and was suprised to not find one. I messaged the moderators about this and got a response from Manda. The tone and contents of that response convinced me that my first impressiosn were right. This is a friendly place open to all and that paticular troll was going to be dealt with swiftly in order to keep this the kind of place where someone like me would feel comfortable posting my pics.

So the short answer of how I found this place is google.. :hail:

Why I stayed is Manda. :hug::

Why I come back every day is all of you. The wonderful users of the TPF family. :hugs:

Like Verbal, I did a google search for photo forum, and guess which one came up on top? Well, it was actually photo.net, followed by several others. So I checked out the top results and none of them seemed all that appealing to me, until I got to result #5 or so which was TPF. I just liked the atmosphere of this place better than any of the other forums, and so I decided to register here. And I've stayed around ever since :)

terri said:
--- He didn't start out with such search engine power, though....back in 2003, he invaded a B&W photography site I was on, and in his cute, don't-want-to-step-on-anyone's-toes kinda way, told us about his new site. Kind of rude, really. :meh:--

Terri that’s how I recalled finding this place too, seem out of line for Chase. The Ace forum (now shut down) was the only place I posted before.

Jeff Canes said:
Terri that’s how I recalled finding this place too, seem out of line for Chase. The Ace forum (now shut down) was the only place I posted before.
Mine was at another forum that's still around. ;) Chase, the site raider. awww......well, he got us, Jeff, so what more could he have hoped for? :mrgreen:

Heard about this forum on a reptile forum i visit. Was in a thread started by Big Mike.............so he got me here. Thanks again for that :)

Most reactions

Back