How did you get into your current photographic position ?

JamesMason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, im currently studying for my degree and am completing a report on routes into the industry.

Just wanted to ask how you got into your current position ? did you have any qualifications ?

Tons of practice, good equipment choices, excellent real life internetworking skills.

A mother who was a talented photographer and got me into it early, an academic degree at university, plus a technical certificate at Community College in film and television production and certification as a teacher.

skieur

Last edited:
LMAO at the answers in this thread :)

I have always loved photography - since I can ever remember. Totally self taught. I have always been interested in landscapes and pets/animals.

I started taking photos at the fence of rodeos I was at. Then people liked them and wanted me to take some of them. Then I sold a few...

The biggest aha moment for me was obtaining a media pass to a very important rodeo event and having some of my photos published. :sexywink:

School of Visual Arts, NYC!!!!

Ended up shooting in the Home Fashion world for 6 years in NYC.

Many, Many years staff photographer Jackson Hole News & Guide; Jackson, WY. Plus my own freelance work.

Currently a struggling LA commercial/editorial photographer. Amazing market here in LA. I will not be struggling for long.

Love & Bass

Uncle was a photographer with the Atlanta Journal.
Started taking pictures when I was small.
Graduated from RIT.
Worked for Kodak.
Opened studio 15 years ago.

Always obsessed with pictures. My husband bought me my first DSLR nearly two years ago. I've been broke ever since! Oh, I'm still part time clawing my way to the top with equipment and clients.

I started out as a writer (still am) and had to work photography in with it. I worked for years with a point and shoot doing motorsports until this month. I got the best shots I could with the Sony Cybershot DSC P/S and decided it was time to upgrade.

Now it's like I'm a newbie all over again, although I did some limited film photography many years ago, I'm taking it way further than I did with film so the learning curve is much steeper.

Used to shoot semi-pro back in the 80's...went to college, got married and had kids. Bought digital point and shoot camera and it was terrible. Then dropped about $15k on new digital equipment...then my wife told me to get back into the biz and make $$ to pay off all that gear! Now I'm the marketing manager for, and selling a ton of pictures through, EventPictures.com. Sports photography about 99%.

Most reactions

Back