How difficult is it to photograph people / models?

coderguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've thought about getting into photography for a long time. While I haven't started yet, I'm curious to get some input on how difficult the area of photography dealing with shooting people / models is.

I would like to learn this and get good, but don't know how long to expect it to take -- both to just get okay and later good.

Input is appreciated. Thanks.

I've thought about getting into photography for a long time. While I haven't started yet, I'm curious to get some input on how difficult the area of photography dealing with shooting people / models is.

I would like to learn this and get good, but don't know how long to expect it to take -- both to just get okay and later good.

This is a bit of a 'length of string' question as it depends on several factors including:

1) Natural ability
2) Type of 'people' photography you want to do: portrait, candid, action, figure.
3) Suitability of equipment (particularly lighting for some types of above).
4) Availability of models for practice sessions. (Again dependant on the type of photography you want to do).
5) Current general photographic experience.

Sorry that isn't amazingly helpful but I think if you can be a bit more specific you'll get better answers.

I should have gave more details, sorry. Thanks for your reply though.

The type of pictures I was thinking of were mainly with models posing in swimwear.

I'm aware that lighting and equipment is important. I don't know enough to be able to pick these out however. If I were to hire a professional, I would get their help with that. Ideally I would like to learn from them quickly where I could do the photography in the future.

I'm not experienced and don't know that I have much natural ability. Any suggestions where to start? Would anything be a substitute for an actual class?

Thanks

The best way to learn photography is through practice. Guided practice (such as having a mentor) is tops in my books. But in order to get the most out of your practice, you need a solid basic understanding of how your camera works, exposure, shutter/apertures/ISO, as well as basic rules of composition.

This is what you should seek out in a class, the basics. And from there, practice and get a mentor.

If you can't or don't want to do the class thing, you can find alot of information out on the internet. But again, just seeing/reading won't do much until you get out and practice.

A good starter book, and one often recommended here, is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I have it at home and it was a great read.

I'll see if they have that book at the library. Also I'll see what luck I have finding a local mentor.

Thanks.

I'd suggest trying to become an assistant or apprentice for a working pro. That should really give you a good idea of what it takes and it's probably the fastest way to learn...although you might have to start out on the bottom, carrying gear fetching coffee etc.

I'll see if they have that book at the library. Also I'll see what luck I have finding a local mentor.

Thanks.
If they do have that book it's quite likely checked out all the time and has a waiting list. It may be the single most recommended book in photography. You can buy it right now for $17 plus shipping. It's not the kind of book you read once and never pick up again. It's a reference book to keep in your photography book library.

Since you're interested in portraiture (swimwear sub specialty) another book you'll need in your photography library is "Light: Science and Magic" by Hunter, Biver and Faqua. Buying books is the least expensive way to get expert instruction.

You need to get a camera and start taking pictures. It's the best way to learn photography.

You could be taking pictures of models in swim suits by next month.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Photographing people... no more different than photographing anything else static, I would say. If your knowledge of photography is weak, the results of your pics will be weak as well. The added dimension in portraiture (photography of people) is that you need to also understand lighting. Specifically, OFF camera lighting.

Strobist to the rescue. ;)

Like anything else, to get crap results is easy... to get the good results takes skill, time, patience, time, practice, time and... did I mention time? :D

Get your basics down pat... I mean to the point that you can talk ISO, aperture, shutter at the advanced levels, and then be able to walk and chew gum and still not forget to breathe... THEN go and mentor with a good photographer. That is the fast path to good results.

You will be shooting weddings within weeks of buying your camera :D

You haven't yet even started photography as a hobby and your asking how long it takes to get good? 99% chance you don't have what it takes to get "good" depending on what you think good is. Time is an irrelevant circumstance. One person could spend 15 years behind a camera and still suck and another could be killer with only a few years.

You may to read this article especially if wishing to shoot models:

Benjamin Kanarek Blog » More than photography

Welcome to my world
What you are seeing when you look at an image I create, is not just my photo. There is a team of individuals providing their talent (which in general is of the highest caliber in the industry) and expertise to the final outcome. All of these individuals, from the Model, Hair and Make-Up artist, Fashion Stylist and Post Production Retouch (for skin generally… Never my lighting) are essential in getting the “Film Finished” so to speak. Being that I am based in Paris, considered one of the three major centers in the world for my metier, I can draw on this exceptional source of talent. These people gravitate to these centers, just as Hollywood attracts actors and actresses, film directors, and producers.
I have had this discussion with many very talented photographers who become frustrated with their work because they cannot produce the images they imagine for lack of the other talents needed to do so. They ask, “Ben, why do my images lack something that I can’t quite define?” And I brutally have to answer.. “They smack of being Provincial…”
Anyone who has been in this God-forsaken business as long as I have can smell it the minute they see the image. Everything from So So model, bad and poorly done make-up, abysmal hair, no fashion styling at all or perhaps at best borrowed from a local clothing store and totally out-dated by my “Snobbishly Arrogant” standards and really badly overdone or incompetent retouching.
If anyone wishes to do what I do, it is really quite simple. Gain a vocabulary. Go out and look at or buy, Italian Vogue, French Vogue, I-D, Numero, Surface, Issue One, Oyster, V… Not the mainstream crap. Absorb it, look, observe, look, observe. You must attain a base for even knowing HOW TO OBSERVE and what to look for. DO NOT YET STUDY THE TECHNIQUE!!! That will come later. Look at everything that is happening. Look at the hair, the make-up, the clothes, the model, the theme, the ambiance. Keep doing this over and over and over until you learn how to be “Discerning”. To become discerning you need the vocabulary.
Once you’ve done that and come to the realization that you might want to try this, you can choose a high end provincial market or “THE MARKET”. I started with Toronto, stayed one year, moved to LA, NY, Milan and eventually Paris. You can get some pretty good talent in Chicago or LA as upper-echelon almost-there markets and get away with it. You can get the good models in Chicago when they come in to do the shows.
Never do a test without all of the “support team” I mentioned. Hair, Make-Up and Fashion-Accessory stylist and of course the Model. “IF YOU DON’T HAVE THIS TEAM YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME.”
You need to think about how you can get a relatively good serious working model and support team for your shoots and what to say to get them. A model agency will know immediately by the questions you ask if you are a novice or advanced shooter. Ask the wrong question and BYE BYE. You’ll smack of…OH, just wanna meet models, forget it buddy! Never mess around with Model agencies, always be as forthright as you can with them. They can screw your career before it has started with just two or three phone calls.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back