How do I achieve this effect in photoshop?

i thought i'd have a go at this seeing as i am sitting at work kinda bored....

i think a shot utilizing the angle of looking down would do more for the blur, at least as far as keeping it believable.

here's mine
edit.jpg

it was kind of fun, although the skin is far more blue now that i look at the two on the same page. o'well...

I want to bring out the pinks and reds of the cheeks and lips. I also want to lighten the skin to a blueish white, not a pink white.

You could make 2 layers. On one go to saturation and boost the reds. On the other adjust the color until you get the bluish skin tones you want. Then mask in the lips and cheeks where you want more red.

It's a small version taken from deviantart. I'm clearly not claiming it as my own, I'm asking for insight on how to emulate that style.
There are only basic copyright laws covering stuff posted on deviantart anyway, and there are no watermarks on the small version. I even kept the artist's name in the filename.
Really now, let's stop acting like I committed the crime of the century.

You can link to other peoples work on this forum but not post it... iv changed it for you, but so you know for future reference.

Best I could do with small 8 bit file... -Shea

Thanks, that's what I was looking for in the cheeks/lips area. I understand the blur layers, how did you bring out the lovely tones in her cheeks though?

Here's my go:

IMG_2430_2.jpg

Levels, Curves and a slight increase in Magentas in Hue/Saturation. Still a bit pink but changing the hue or the lightness within the hue on the magentas/reds should do the trick?

Don't know, would need to be selective adjustments on the face anyway.. might give it another bash.

ok had another go but i got carried away doing other stuff as i can't quite get it :(

IMG_2430_3.jpg

Last edited:
^ I couldn't get the cheeks red enough just with hue & saturation.. just a sort of pink :/

Taking a go. Using dual layers, and painting whichever colors I that I want to leak through using the "hue" blending function. This all ofcourse is on Photoshop! Well, I did this on a Mac, but viewing it on my labtop, the skin is a very unnatural color...lol. Oh well! You get the idea.

Guenapigcopy.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a stab at it:

IMG_2429b.jpg

to basically articulate what people are posting above, you can't just globally apply hue and saturation to the whole photo and expect those results, you have to select certain parts of the photo, make new layers and masks, and edit it from there.

sjjustus if that top picture is not originally yours can you please convert it to a link rather than an embedded image to conform with the forum rules, thanks.

Secondly don't bump the thread every 20min. Many members only check in here every one or two days. Give it time. We will get to your threads :)

It looks to me like a mixture of overlaid blur layers and de-saturation.
My attempt: http://www.garbz.com/blueblur.psd (9.5mb file) should give you something to work from.

Thanks Garbz

Oh wow that worked ? The pole down the road got hit by lightning the other day and our internet drops out every few min at the moment. You were lucky to download that file :).

Most reactions

Back