How Do I Achieve This Look?

Jihanemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
View attachment 28951

I'm assuming this author of the photo took the picture w/ her camera phone b/c I've found most of her photos on Instagram. She's an online retailer and uses these cell phone photos as stock photos on her jewelry website. I'm impressed with the lighting in the pictures.

She probably used one of the Instragram App filters before posting the photo, but I really want to know: how did she achieve this lighting? The light appears to be natural, and it's coming from "the north", from the top of the photo... but it's also coming from the bottom... not as strong though.

Is it possible render this kind of lighting with an app filter (not necessarily on Instagram)?

Or do you think she uses a reflector, "south" of the image (holding it in front of her so that the sunlight in front of her bounces off and lights the side of the jewelry closest to her)? (Please excuse my lack of photography terms).

Perhaps she set it in a light cube?

I would very much like to learn her technique so I can use the same for photos on my eCommerce website.

Any help appreciated. Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a big softbox or panel overhead, and yeah, a large white reflector to the "south", then some Instagram or other filter effect added in post. Could easily be a "light tent".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back