How do I blur and focus

pongerts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! good day to you again!

I need help on a shot that I would like to compose.

The image that I want to produce is that my model is in focus, while other people are (motion) blurred?

Do I rear-sync my strobes and aim it at my model, or do I just composite the image in PP?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Two images is an option. Shoot the moving shot and then shoot the model and mask the model into the new shot. OR well IDK I would do two shoots.

That was my first idea also...composite two images.

any suggestions on the cam settings so that I can balance the two exposures?

If you're compositing two images you might as well manage perfecting the exposures in post so that they match well. As long as you expose properly you should have an issue. How many models will you have access to here? Personally I'd rear-sync the strobes, assuming that it's feasible to do so when considering light fall-off from model to the background subjects (moving the strobes back will help). Get the model to hold still, use a tripod, and shoot at a low shutter speed, like 1/15 or a bit slower. The strobes will help freeze the small amount of motion in the model, and assuming she doesn't blink as a reaction to the shutter opening, should probably work.

The thing is, I've always found hair a serious PITA when dealing with any sort of masking. It's just...*grumbles* I'd at least try to get a shot where there's less PP involved, and then take the shots necessary for compositing later as a fall-back.

Your best bet would be to shoot in the most controlled atmosphere possible. Most likely you want this to be a day shot though huh?

A friend of mine did this same thing, but with a person in the middle of the road and car streaks moving around the model instead. He obtained this simply by shooting at night because it is much easier to match the model in (at least it would seem)

It really wouldn't be that big of a deal though, as long as both are properly exposed. Crush down your aperture for the long exposure and set up the model to just expose them properly, the hardest part would probably be getting the long exposure shot properly

Shoot Manual mode.
For the shoot with te moving People I would tend to want to shoot at a lower f/stop to allow more light. Also Manualy focus the image to defocus the people moving. Have your model pose and focus the image on the model to know the focus range. Have the model move and take your shots. Make sure the background shot has matching light. Take some shots with the model for references on the lighting and adjust accordingly. When you shoots your model, I would shoot at a higher f stop than the background image. You want to make sure you have the entire model In Focus. Use your flash on the model also but do not make it obvious.

Give us an idea on the equipment info and location detail and I can help more.

thanks a lot for the ideas.

my location would be in a covered basketball court (but with open walls), with ambient light available from the semi-opaque roofing. No flourescents or bulbs. And probably light shining off the walls outside the basketball court.

my composition would be, the model in the middle of the court with 'blurred' people running around...

i do have 2 flashes available and cactus V4's <<< (newly arrived and quite happy with it). And I do have a tripod to make things easier.

A word of advice: put some gaffer's tape on the battery compartment of the V4's. I have them, and that's really my only complaint (plus the plastic mount that I feel will break at some point...but whatever). The casing fell off and I lost a battery in the grass at a shoot recently; had a devil of a time finding it. >.<

I'd get the flashes as far back as you can and zoom them in to lessen the light fall off. Rear-curtain sync for better motion blur, and probably start firing at around ISO 400 and, eh, I would go at 1/4 power and work from there, but it's all down to how much power you have in those flashes.

But, will you actually be able to put the model there while people are running all over the place? Or do you not have any control over the people running around?

thanks for the advice regarding the V4's.

I will have control over the people that'll be running around...I'll stage the running with 'extras' in the shoot. :)

great thanks to everyone for the ideas! I can't wait to try them out! I'll post results when I get to do the shoot.

Cant you do this using a small Aperutre (f22 or lower )
to get a low shutter speed (about 1/10) and hope people are walking quick enough?
Or you could take jut 1 image with people all visible then put into photoshop and mask around the model and do a motion blur then feather your mask

For now, I have taken into account all your suggestions.

Will post when I have done the shoot.

side question... off-topic....
how do I close out a thread if I wanted to? or is it necessary to close a thread?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back