How do I compose this shot better and make it more interesting?

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by drkuba, Dec 16, 2006.

1. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

The scenario was pretty nice, but I couln't figure out how to capture it in a good photo. Maybe if I had a wider lens (this was at 20mm on an APS-C sensor) I could have gotten better clouds. I'de love some advice.

[​IMG]

Here are two other pictures from this litte photo trip I took.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. siphoto

siphoto TPF Noob!

hmmm, shot at 20mm aye???
    I think you have gone too wide, the lake is overpowering the picture, with the majority of the bottom half being water. Maybe get a bit lower to the ground, include more of the stones within the foreground.

For photos of lakes, I like to stitch up photos and get a full panoramic view of the whole lake!

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think the 20mm in the first one do work well. just you could have moved the camera up and to the left to give the composition more tension. Some will say, follow the rule of thirds.
    That will give you much more sky.

If you want more water, maybe a longer focal length will be more useful.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    in photo #1, shooting in lower horizon can give more sweetness to the picture since the sky is not intersting. try also to saturate the sky and you can shoot to higher horizon. nice try.
    #2 is interesting.

5. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is not dramatic, but still nice i think ... could need a bit more contrast though

6. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think all the shots would have been so much better if a polarizer had been used

7. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

I knew I needed one of those! Thanks for the tips everyone. I actually tried to up the contrast a little of just the sky in PS before posting here, but I couldn't accomplish that much. I am going to go out and get me a polarizing filter soon. Do I need to pay for the more expensive digital ones?

8. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There ain't no digital polarisers out there ... just it is advised to get a circular one, as the linear ones cause trouble on digital cameras I think.
    The amount of money you spend more depends on the quality of the glass, the coatings and all that .. and the diameter of the filter.

9. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

ok, ive been shopping all day. My question now is, do I want to spend $100 for a hoya mulitcoated 77mm, or should single coated be ok?

10. jeroen

jeroen No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nr1
    That sky is not so bad at all. It just needs a big push with "levels" in Photoshop, like most clouded skies need more or less IMO. I have to agree you've gone too wide...

I can mail you a layered PSD with a tweeked sky if you PM me your e-mail adress.

nr2
    I love that one. Low POV, just like the kid. And that kid looks like it is having real fun :)
    Cropping out a big chunk of the right part wouldn't hurt though. And rotating the whole thing clockwise wouldn't either. Your water isn't level.
    But I like it, it's a nice shot.

nr3
    Sorry, not my cup of tea. The water seems overexposed also.

11. cal_gundert05

cal_gundert05 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is more of a general comment that I read somewhere, but I think it applies to your 1st pic:

When you find beautiful scenery like a lake, don't just "set up shop" and take a pic from right where you're standing--take some time to find the "best" place to shoot from.

I don't know how you came to shoot from where you did--maybe you determined that to be the most interesting point from which to take a photo. In that case, you did the right thing. But if you were just walking along, saw the lake, and shot from that spot, I think you could have missed a big opportunity.

Personally, I find the submerged log on the right side to be interesting--maybe I'd try shooting the log as it stretches out into the water, too.

12. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

1. cool, i'll PM you.

2. Hmm. never thought about rotating it. I will give it a go.

3. I only posted it because I liked how it's almost black and white with color in the way that the log kept that little stretch of water from being overexposed and "glaring." hmm, i duno if you wan even conjugate glare that way, lol.

Thanks for the advice!