How do I convince my wife I need this?

Hello Supra

From your avatar I see you have a daughter.

Explain to your wife how the photos you take of her and your daughter will be so much more flattering, and that her legacy will be with the world forever with great photos....if only I had this lighting set. ;):mrgreen:

*I do not know much about the lighting set or costs

Have you researched the price of the kit to make sure this is a good deal?

The kit on the website ( with one less light ) lists for $1850

A good flash cost $400+ and this kit is for $600. So now you have to convince her for the extra $200, you might have to show her how much difference it will make in the photos - somehow :)

Give her something she's really like in exchange for the extra $200 or offer to pay the difference yourself. Maybe she wants a particular job done, or some time off from being "Mom" when she really needs it. You give her that and she might think it's worth the extra $200.

do a million awesomely nice things!

Well you could take her by the left hand, look for a time at the diamond ring on her ring finger and ask her what that hunk of crystallized carbon does to put a roof over your head, put food on the table or provide lasting memories of your child or children of yours for generations to come.

(You might want to make sure that you have a comfortable couch before you do this, just in case it doesn't work):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In my house reason always wins, as in "you'd better have a good reason!"
My wife and I look at the cost of a cheap portrait studio like Sears and figure out how much we would spend on regular photos. Add in the cost of having a photog at major family events, plus the nominal value of "priceless" candids and buying pro camera gear was an easy sell. Hell, a home studio set-up is next on my wife's to-do list. :peacesign:

Buy it. Take some awesome shots of your young one. Show your wife the very best of those shots, at the same time- slip in how much you spent. Works for me.

p!nK

I just ordered a studio lighting kit: SP4000 by Square Perfect.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SP4000-Complete-Professional-Portrait-Studio/dp/B000XH0XNE/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276051942&sr=8-25]Amazon.com: SP4000 Complete Professional Portrait Studio Kit - 3 Studio Flash/Strobe, 2 softboxes, wireless: Electronics[/ame]

I have only had it for a week but I use it alot in that week and I am 120% happy with it. I wasnt expecting some of the stuff it came with to be great quality, but honestly there is not one thing in this kit that I thought looked like it would break soon. The results I have been getting with the lights are awesome and they are more than powerful enough for me. I cant see those cheap 100 watt strobes being any good

Is that continuous lighting in the package your showing?

I was lucky, my wife is pregnant and wanted maternity portraits - actually I wasnt lucky I planned it all along ;) :lmao: j/k

I own a lot of Speedotron gear, and I watch it on eBay. The set you reference at $600 used is not a really "great deal" at eBay prices... right now, there are some similar, or better outfits for sale on eBay. I found these three tonight.

Speedotron 1205 1200 w/s Pack & (2) 102 Head Package - eBay (item 370386003508 end time Jun-23-10 10:25:53 PDT)

Speedotron DM1604-3 CC Deluxe Light System - eBay (item 220616112663 end time Jun-09-10 17:53:13 PDT)

THIS SET Buy it now at $600 has a 2401A pack and two 102 fan-cooled light heads PLUS a Bonus 102 head without a flash tube.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A good flash cost $400+ and this kit is for $600. So now you have to convince her for the extra $200, you might have to show her how much difference it will make in the photos - somehow :)

Where do you shop? A good flash costs $220 new.

Personally, I would rather have 2 SB-600's, 2 umbrellas and 2 stands for about $100 less than that kit. I can produce incredible lighting and it would be 100 times more portable.

do as women do...
if they want something, offer a romantic night ;)
if she disagrees, no romantic night for a month (theoretically ofcourse)

Most reactions

Back