How do I fix - landscapes C&C

Everything you ever wanted to know about RAW format: Click Here

Summary: Raw format is unprocessed, uncompressed sensor data. The file format is specific to the camera manufacturer and, if your camera is capable of shooting in RAW, it probably came with RAW image editing software. Most high end editing programs have the ability to handle RAW image files though regardless of the manufacturer, Adobe Photoshop & PS Elements is famous for this.

RAW gives you greater control over things like color control. But it requires computer processing to make the images usable for printing. Most printers won't handle RAW formats, only TIFF or more likely, JPEG. But RAW is a lossless format where none of the pixel data is compromised as is TIFF but the main drawback is that its much much larger then JPEG images and requires significant space on your memory cards and hard drives as you build your collection of pictures, and again, you must edited these images on your PC afterward, referred to as Post-Processing (PP). One major benefit is that the changes made to RAW Files through the manufacturer's proprietary software or an image editor like Adobe Photoshop are not actually changing the image file itself, pixel data is not compromised. And the origonal image can be easily restored.

But for the time being, my suggestion is concentrate on learning to shoot... Digital Editing and Post-Processing is a whole new world of headaches. But yes, it is generally easier to make such changes to your image through a RAW file, as well as you'll have greater range of controls.

The image I posted above took about 15 minutes, all done in Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, well actually its just the RAW File plug-in that comes with photoshop & photoshop elements. Camera Raw 5.3. Most good editing programs have their version of this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back