How do i get Jill Greenberg effect?

I know how to light it,

You'll need a ringlight around the camera axis, not necessarily on it, two umbrellas about 45 degrees, two more umbrellas 45 degrees behind the subject, or have the kickers bare, and a background light, but that part can be done in post if you shoot on a green screen.

Than hire whoever does her post-production.

A ton of post there too, eyes, face, suit. Ashton looks like PLASTIC MAN.

I guess that's why she's called the'manipulator'.. Interesting though , I had never heard of her until now.

To echo what others have said - it's a mix of lighting and pp. A lot of her portraits looks as if she's used a soft front light (ring light), as well as some harsher backlighting from the sides and from above to give is some more depth. Add that with a LOT of skin smoothing and retouching and you get what appears to be her style.

Looks to me like she paints over the photos quite extensively... take a drawing/painting class, go to art school for 4 years, and then you should be good to go. ;)

Tonal contrast adjustment, skin smoothing.
She probably loads it in a program that does it for her, wild guess.

I knew her work was very familiar! I saw the first few shots and I thought "Hey, I bet she did the Dexter/Michael C. Hall shots for Showtime." I was right. :lol:

I like it. I'm not a fan of TOO much PP usually, but this time it's more of an art/painting effect rather than a completely fake looking photo.

The more I look at it, the more I just don't think that image is very good. His posture is so awkward, like a neanderthal. His expression is very strange and also awkward. His fingers are cut off. Not a fan at all...

The more I look at it, the more I just don't think that image is very good. His posture is so awkward, like a neanderthal. His expression is very strange and also awkward. His fingers are cut off. Not a fan at all...

I agree. One of those photographers that tries to take a technically bad image and make it better with PP. Unsuccessfully if you ask me. The image is still a bad one.

I agree. One of those photographers that tries to take a technically bad image and make it better with PP. Unsuccessfully if you ask me. The image is still a bad one.

Even if her PP salvaging isn't successful, her career sure is. So she must be doing something right. Haha.

I agree, it looks to me like a bunch of different poses were used to create one final fake looking image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back