How do I get models for photography?

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to take photos of people. Women, men, children, even babies. But every time I tell people I would like to take photos of them or someone in their family, I get some funny looks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The problem is too, I don't know how good I'll be at it, and I'm very honest about it. Like someone wanted senior photos, so I told them to go get some done, and I'd do a few more for free. But I'd rather be forward, than get 100 shots of crap and have an upset person who was counting on me.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get people interested, build up their confidence in me without them being misunderstood about it being a learning experience.

go onto craigslist, find the creative gigs section, post an ad explaining that you are a newb and you are looking for models. make sure that you are honest and make it clear that it is tfcd(time for cd) and you will get several emails from people who want to be models and bam you have models.

go onto craigslist, find the creative gigs section, post an ad explaining that you are a newb and you are looking for models. make sure that you are honest and make it clear that it is tfcd(time for cd) and you will get several emails from people who want to be models and bam you have models.

Thank you. What if there's a guy or girl I know I'd like to take photos of? What would be a good way to warm them up to photos? I think some of the girls especially are not always trusting of intentions.

not sure on that one. my best bet is always be honest. honesty will open more doors than anything else.

sounds to me the first thing you need to get is more self confidence. I don't mean get cocky about it but find someone who you can trust to give you an honest opinion of your efforts. Maybe post a few on here or another forum for critique but be prepared to get a mix of responses - some helpful and some less so.
Get together a portfolio of some of your best shots, probably no more than 10 or 12. Put them in a 6x4 or 7x7 pocket size portfolio and keep it with you all the time. Then you can show it to people to show you are genuine and at the same time let them see your work and what you are about. Ask them to think seriously about it and give them your contact number to call you.

Good luck!
Jim

Also, I use a digital photo keychain to show people what I do - very handy (although quality isnt great on it)!

I don't see why friends and family would give you odd looks if you want to practice with them. Why would a female friend think you have wrong intentions?

If you are really unsure about yourself, find a good area to take pictures at (even go check it out ahead of time), look stuff up online to get an idea of poses, and then talk to a friend explaining what you want to do.

I had a project last night where I had to go downtown and do some portraits of strangers. Not candid shots, but have them pose for me. It was really hard to break the ice, but I ended up doing 3 great shoots which lasted 5-10 mins each. I just went up, explained what I was doing and asked if it was ok. I offered to email them everything, told them it wouldn't be posted anywhere, sold anywhere, and only shown to my class.

I didn't stop anyone on the street who look busy, but rather people who were just hanging out. I never approached a single woman, she might be very uncomfortable. I targetted couples who looked like they were just out strolling. Having a friend makes them feel more comfortable. I did some couple shots, then individuals after. After shooting 1 couple, the woman mentionned her sister was getting married in a month and didn't have a photographer and asked if I was free hahaha.

So maybe ask 2 friends (who know each other) to shoot at the same time to make them feel more comfortable and offer to buy them dinner.

Thank you. What if there's a guy or girl I know I'd like to take photos of? What would be a good way to warm them up to photos? I think some of the girls especially are not always trusting of intentions.

Just tell them the truth. Say that you want to practice taking portraits and you think she (or he) would make a great subject. Offer to give them some prints later for their time. If you're honest and up front, they won't get the wrong idea. If they have reservations, just let it be, and don't push them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back