how do i get photography jobs?

smashleymae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i am kinda new to photography.. i am really trying to get into but i cant seem to get people who want their picture taken. the only people i can get pictures of are my nieces who are 4 and 5. i dont know how to get out and around to getting people. i have posted on myspace and facebook.. but none of my friends took me up on the offer.

i am in maine.. soo if anyone else is and they can help me out that would be fantastic..

i just need some ideas on how to get myself out there..

THANKS

What many photographers do is get out there, knock on peoples doors and ask if they would like family portraits doing, I'm not sure if its the same over there but here in the UK its very popular.

I put ads on craigslist offering free photoshoots for a limited time so I can build up my portfolio....shooting a band this weekend.

I would deffinately do the add on craigslist. How I got started was I did a shoot of a friend of mine and put it on my blog and facebook and I got quite a bit from that. It has been all people that I know with the exception of one since then. But hey I still make the money and they have told other people and I have a shoot coming up at the end of this month with complete strangers so, I am excited about that!!

Exactly. Get your name out there, do some free shoots with people, friends, family, whatever. You just have to have something to show...thats the bottom line. If anyone is going to hire you in the future, they want to know that you can get the shots.

Improve your skills more for this craft by going outside and shooting. If you don't know people who can pose for you for your portrait shots, you may consider doing street photography, shooting everyday people doing their everyday routines. Good luck!

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Welcome to the forum!

First of all and most importantly you have to figure out what kind of work you want to do. Basically it falls into three categories. Retail, Commercial/Editorial, Fine Art. You can certainly combine all three, but I think that gets a little dodgy. Next develop your portfolio. This will forever be evolving. When it is at a great point target the clients you want to work with and beat them over the head with it.

A great book is your calling card. It is not easy. Talk with family members. Take out ads. There is no easy answer. You will have to do a lot of research and leg work.

Love & Bass

I put ads on craigslist offering free photoshoots for a limited time so I can build up my portfolio....shooting a band this weekend.

There's nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be making top dollar, do top dollar work, and work with top dollar people, either shootign becuase you're so good at talking yourself up, or assisting people who are and learning their tricks. That will get you the top dollar jobs.

Many times have I seen the craigslist ad results and people pigeonhole themselves into being cheap shooters, because that's the only way they know how to get business, and that's the only market they're targeting, bottom-feeders. That sucks, and you can't make a living off of that because people go on craigslist to be cheap.

What many photographers do is get out there, knock on peoples doors and ask if they would like family portraits doing, I'm not sure if its the same over there but here in the UK its very popular.

Do you mean literally - as in 'door-to-door salesman' style?

For any person without the experience, the best thing to do is assistanship (according to magazines I had read). Volunteer. When you get the photographer's confidence, he might pay you. Of course, if I were you, I'd settle for minimum wage at first. Then it is up to you to learn from him then go indenpendent. So volunteer.

you could find a job that involves photography... I am applying to a few places that are looking for sales people/photographers/developers. selling people on packages, taking the pictures, and setting up the package they ordered. Its a great way to get your foot in the door IMO

You've received great advice here. I'd like to add that you've already got photos of your niece and nephew, what about other friends and family members? A little bit of experience can be brought out with confidence and enthusiasm.

• If you take casual photos of family, friends, and co-workers, you can show them your work and perhaps interest them into free portraits.
  • What about going to apartments and offer to take photos of the staff and the surroundings? It's time to get your personality out there. Then build up to offering portraits to residents.
  • What about assisted living facilities? I'm sure the residents there would love visitors. They get lonely and would probably love the attention. (My dad lives at one.)
I would think that any good quality photos would be great to show off your talent. Like someone said here, street photos. Once I had my photo taken while running with a dog (not mine). It was in the paper for an article about women and running. That photo had been taken years before the article. So if you take photos now, couldn't they be a valuable resource to draw from in the future sometime?

It should come when your work attracts attention, not saying you shouldnt be assertive, but what Im trying to get at is you arent going to go and get paid without quality work to show. I would say continue doing child portraits if thats whats easiest for you to access, then more family/friends might come wanting portraits done. Another easy way should be childs sports, parents want pics of their kids.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back