how do i get photography jobs?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by smashleymae, May 13, 2009.

1. smashleymae

smashleymae TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So i am kinda new to photography.. i am really trying to get into but i cant seem to get people who want their picture taken. the only people i can get pictures of are my nieces who are 4 and 5. i dont know how to get out and around to getting people. i have posted on myspace and facebook.. but none of my friends took me up on the offer.

i am in maine.. soo if anyone else is and they can help me out that would be fantastic..

i just need some ideas on how to get myself out there..

THANKS

2. JamieR

JamieR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What many photographers do is get out there, knock on peoples doors and ask if they would like family portraits doing, I'm not sure if its the same over there but here in the UK its very popular.

3. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I put ads on craigslist offering free photoshoots for a limited time so I can build up my portfolio....shooting a band this weekend.

4. In His Image

In His Image TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would deffinately do the add on craigslist. How I got started was I did a shoot of a friend of mine and put it on my blog and facebook and I got quite a bit from that. It has been all people that I know with the exception of one since then. But hey I still make the money and they have told other people and I have a shoot coming up at the end of this month with complete strangers so, I am excited about that!!

5. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly. Get your name out there, do some free shoots with people, friends, family, whatever. You just have to have something to show...thats the bottom line. If anyone is going to hire you in the future, they want to know that you can get the shots.

6. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Spend less time here and more time out there... :thumbup:

7. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^ Thats the quick answer lol

8. captainkimo

captainkimo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Improve your skills more for this craft by going outside and shooting. If you don't know people who can pose for you for your portrait shots, you may consider doing street photography, shooting everyday people doing their everyday routines. Good luck!

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Welcome to the forum!

First of all and most importantly you have to figure out what kind of work you want to do. Basically it falls into three categories. Retail, Commercial/Editorial, Fine Art. You can certainly combine all three, but I think that gets a little dodgy. Next develop your portfolio. This will forever be evolving. When it is at a great point target the clients you want to work with and beat them over the head with it.

A great book is your calling card. It is not easy. Talk with family members. Take out ads. There is no easy answer. You will have to do a lot of research and leg work.

Love & Bass

10. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be making top dollar, do top dollar work, and work with top dollar people, either shootign becuase you're so good at talking yourself up, or assisting people who are and learning their tricks. That will get you the top dollar jobs.

Many times have I seen the craigslist ad results and people pigeonhole themselves into being cheap shooters, because that's the only way they know how to get business, and that's the only market they're targeting, bottom-feeders. That sucks, and you can't make a living off of that because people go on craigslist to be cheap.

11. monkeyroller

monkeyroller TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you mean literally - as in 'door-to-door salesman' style?

12. coreduo

coreduo TPF Noob!

For any person without the experience, the best thing to do is assistanship (according to magazines I had read). Volunteer. When you get the photographer's confidence, he might pay you. Of course, if I were you, I'd settle for minimum wage at first. Then it is up to you to learn from him then go indenpendent. So volunteer.