How do I get the background blurred

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mostly sunny, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mostly sunny

mostly sunny TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    and the focal point focused?

Do I use one of those.. lenses that I can adjust the focus? Will one work on my camera?

2. WesVFX

WesVFX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    google "depth of field".

or do a search here.

souls got the right idea though...open up that ap...and zoom a bit.

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also try and keep a good distance between your subject and the background.
    With some lenses you will find the ability to control depth of field to be alot easier.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

The way you are going to be able to blur the background on an image is as has been said a wide open aperture. The faster the lens you have the better chance you are going to have to do that. If money is tight you might try something like a 50mm 2.8 lens which can be had in the $100 neighborhood and with ast lenses the sky is the limit from there. You can slightly blur the background with f/4 but from there it gets difficult.

6. mostly sunny

mostly sunny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How do I even know what kind of lenses I have?

I am using this one that is my Dad's cause I didn't like the one that came with the camera. The numbers on it are EFS18-55
    The one that came with the camera says

28-135 (right now my Dad has that on his camera- A Canon Rebel EOS, and it looks WAY to big for that camera)
    and I use one other lens..
    It says
    70-210

Are any of those close to the one you are talking about?

7. zioneffect564

zioneffect564 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There should be a mode on your camera called creative auto it's next to full auto. In creative auto there should be a little slider and it will ask you if you want your background more or less blurry. There are limitations though by the lenses that you have. The higher the aperature the more blur you're going to get, for example at f/4 you're going to get a slightly out of focus background. If you had an f/1.2 lens though you could throw the background completely out of focus.

My suggestion would be to use the 28-135 at 135 and shoot in Aperature Priority (which on a Canon I think it's Av on the rotator knob) and shoot at the highest aperature or lowest number.

Another suggestion would be to look into getting a fast prime like a 50mm f/1.8. If you shoot at f/1.8 on that lens you're going to be getting a nice out of focus background. One of those can be had new for $100 from here or used for $70 here.

8. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats a whole lotta camera for a beginner ( 7D ). I wish I started out with a 7D...(stares off dreamily ) haha.

If you find that you are predominantly shooting people/portraits. I would recommend the 50mm F/1.4USM. I think mine was like $350. It does not zoom at all so you have to walk closer or away to adjust your distance, but it will blur the background very nicely. It will also perform much better in darker lighting. If you are on a budget you can also go with the $99 F/1.8 50mm that was already mentioned. It has a cheaper build quality but if you aren't looking for an investment, just a quick and cheap method, go with that.

You can also blur the background in photoshop but it gets a little tricky to make it look natural like a lense does.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Seek out the camera manual and read it - then read it again - then read again with the camera and play with it :) Try putting the camera into aperture priority mode (AV on the dial) and play around with using different apertures and see how they affect your shots as well as how they influence your shutter speed. (ps my camera manual lived in the camera bag with the camera for the first half a year to year that I had my camera - best place since you can check and try things when shooting rather than having to come home nad find the manual)

I would also strongly recomend the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson because whilst its still aimed atbeginners it will go into more depth and detail as well as giving more examples on how you can use aperture, shutter speed and ISO to control and manipulate your photos.

10. Wolverinepwnes

Wolverinepwnes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    go to 1.8 or 2.8 or 5.6 (the lowest number)

11. bahandi

bahandi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm surprised there isn't more, "read this, google that." hmm.. Could it be the Holiday season? or is it because the OP's avatar is of a female? lol.

To the OP, study depth of field.

12. mostly sunny

mostly sunny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit