How do I get these old lenses to work on my D80?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bluettu, Jul 7, 2007.

1. bluettu

bluettu TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Nikon D80 and my husband had an older Nikon camera with about 4 other lenses for it. I took them all to my local camera shop and the guy told me that I could use all of them on my camera. They are all manual focus. I put them on my camera and set my camera to manual focus and I can not get a picture out of them to save my life. Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thank!

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The lenses will not meter on the D80. You will have to manually meter each shot. It sounds like a pain, but it's worth it. The quality of the older glass is outstanding IMHO. I use a lot of old MF lenses on my digitals. A hand held meter is a great way to learn the f/stops and depth of field.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The words "these old lenses" isn't specific enough. At the very least we need to know the design.

non-AI, AI, AI-S, or PC? non-AI lenses will not work and could possibly damage the camera, some PC nikkor lenses can also damage the mirror.

Read up on this in the back of the manual under accessories. It will list which lenses work, which don't, and any manual interventions which may be needed (such as specifying to the camera what lens is mounted)

4. carusoswi

carusoswi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty lame on the part of the guy not to explain that the auto-exposer in addition to the meter would not work with those lenses. . . . really lame.

Caruso