how do i get this effect ??

Nutcracker33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I was browsing through flickr, and i found this very nice photo with kind of a wintery feel, I am wondering how do i get this effect

what kind of a workflow do i have to go through to get something like that

here is the shot
http://www.flickr.com/photos/syncros/2182753751/

Thanks a lot
Tom

That's infrared.

Judging by the leaves (they don't have motion blur), I'd say it was probably done with a modified camera. Either that or there was no wind.

You can do IR with an un-modified camera with the right filters, but you usually need pretty long exposures - so if there's any wind trees will show movement.

What filters are needed? I am very interested in this type of images...

D

You can buy filters from B&H, buy the one that fits your lens diameter or you could buy one for the biggest lens you have and then buy step-up rings for the other lenses. The IR ones that Hoya makes are anywhere from $40 to $283.00

The best way to do this is get yourself a used DSLR and have it converted.

Last edited:
you need an IR filter, check the following ones ; 72, 87, 89,
as has been mentioned the filter must also match the lens your using.

Thanks guys,

Ill probably just get a filter for now, and if I really get into it I might look into the whole conversion deal...

D

Thanks guys,

Ill probably just get a filter for now, and if I really get into it I might look into the whole conversion deal...

D
Like mentioned earlier, IR filters require a pretty long shutter speed. The filters are nearly black. Once you put it on, you will not be able to see through your viewfinder. You will need to compose the shot without the filter, attach the filter, and then fire the shot. I've heard alot of good things about the Hoya R72 filter.

According to his site this guy was using a converted Nikon D100.

And I just happen to have a D100 that's been pretty much replaced my my newer nikon . . . so, hmmmmm.

Anyone have any idea how much the conversion costs, who can do it, and which - if any - filters are used once the conversion is done?

check on maxmax.com

i don't remember the cost and you will need a set of filters, one for ir and one for normal if you so desire.
the advantage is that you can handhold and see what is going on with a converted camera rather than using an 87 or 89 filter which needs a tripod and once the filter is in place the viewfinder is useless.

What about IR film?

I think Kodak dropped it and I can't figure out how to load it into my 40D anyway. ;)

Read about conversions here: http://www.lifepixel.com/

After you pay about $400, to remove the sensor filter, converting it to a camera that only shoots infrared, (unless you buy a filter) and the novelty wears off, you'll possibly want to recover some of your investment. Just what others do, so take a look on eBay for used cameras, that someone else already converted.

Unless you know that you want to take photos using this method and light spectrum, it's expensive. I'd spend the $400 on something more versatile and useful. Buy CS3 and create all kinds of tricked up looking photos. When you get bored, you have a great photo editor.

we have tested several editing programs that can apply a IR effect, but it doesn't look the same.

and by the way photography is not cheap.

for film IR users, there are still some films still available altho, kodak's version was considered the bench mark.

Most reactions

Back