how do i get warmer light?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by blooper, Oct 17, 2006.

1. blooper

blooper TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

i tried custom white balancing. im not sure if i did it right either.
    this time i pushed the lights out further and wider than 45 degrees of my subject so i can more of a core shadow. the light is kinda dim, maybe cuz my shutter speed was too fast. but besides all that, i just wnated to know if i could have done anything with the white balance to get some more warmer tones, esp in her skin.

i didnt get too many favs from my last post, hope i did better this time.

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For warmer light (i'm assuming you are referring to color temp), there are warming filters for lenses, as well as warming filters for lights. If you are shooting raw, you can manually fine tune the white balance in post, and get as little or as much warmth as you want.

I would say that this picture is lacking contrast, more than anything. For a black background, I would move the model further away from the background The splash of light hitting above her head in the background is distracting. Get a solid black background by making sure it's receiving at least 2 stops less exposure than your subject.

Don't be afraid to bump up the contrast in your image editor.

3. W.Smith

W.Smith TPF Noob!

Possibilities galore, blooper:
    1) Gels on your lights
    2) in-camera filter setting (check your manual)
    3) in-camera WB tweaking
    4) optical warming filters
    5) main light via gold reflector
    6) RAW + PP
    7) JPG + PP

This is an example of the latter, a before & after, in PS (warming filter 85):
    [​IMG]

If you want to brush up on WB techniques, download this 3.5MB PowerPoint file (click!).

4. blooper

blooper TPF Noob!

thanks. what exactly do warming filters do in ps? looks like its a boost in red and blue channels. yea, ive been avoiding post editing since i started. not cuz i dont know how, but i just wanted to get waht i wanted by capturing it and not by making it.

not to be a douche either, but are your before/after pic you doctored the same? haha... they look the same as each other, but different than my original. i do see the change tho. could have been a mistake =P

5. W.Smith

W.Smith TPF Noob!

They . . . uhhh . . . 'warm' the color scheme . . .
    Could be. Does it matter?
    Get a Kodak Brownie.
    Maybe you need to calibrate your monitor? Or get a new prescription? Or both . . .

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    seems to me that if you were shooting film the answer would be kodak a definite yellow cast...

Red cast fuji..

Blue case ektachrome or tungston light and maybe afga I dont really remember on agfa color.