How do I improve my outdoor pictures, here is the pictures of a Falls in Portland

What time of day do you shoot? You should try to be out when the lighting is softer. Early morning / early evening. The quality of light will give you softer images. These appear to be taken in afternoon when the sun is at it's brightest and you lose a lot of detail in your photos that way. Good luck!

I think the biggest thing you need to work on is composition. Do a google search on the rule of thirds and see why your images are perhaps not as interesting as others.

Look at WHY you like a particular image. Where the horizon is, where the subject is placed in the frame etc...

Also look at the use of a circular polariser or an ND graduated filter.

I just dropped in because I used to live in Portland and wanted to see a shot of Multnomah Falls. The images are not sharp. I know you used a low shutter speed to give motion to the water. Assuming you used a tripod to compensate for the lower shutter speed, something went wrong. Multnomah Falls are set back away from the rest of the rock due to erosion. Time of day is the whole key to shooting this natural wonder.

Rule of thirds is 3D. ie top/bottom - left/right - back/front.
Lighting is paramount. (Take the same picture morning, midday and evening and you will see 3 different pictures).
you only hand hold a camera when you CAN'T use a tripod.

What you have there are some very nice snaps. Nothing wrong with snaps, I take them all the time (look at my avatar for instance). But when I want to put something on a wall... I create an image. That is not an anal "Arty farty" phrase, it is the difference between finding something you like and snapping it. And going to the correct angle at the correct time of day with the correct lens and a tripod. working out the correct time exposure with or without filters etc etc etc, and looking at the result and saying WOW.. THAT is what I wanted.
But it is hard work, and requires practise and experience. You obviously have an eye for an image, now you need to keep going and learn the "Ninja moves".

Most reactions

Back