How do i obtain this effect / clarity?

cjwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just seen a few images like these and really like the clarity and light these images have. It seems to be a reoccurring within automotive photography, any thing i am missing?
All seem to have the same feel so i am wondering if there is a particular post process to achieve this image????
any in put would be appreciated

i shoot with a canon 5d mk111 and use lightroom as my main edited software

Last edited by a moderator:
Note - please don't embed photos you don't own the rights to; instead please link to the original source or an offsite host.

As for the photos you showed there isn't any distinct method beyond good early morning light; good lighting position and probably some decent editing and some brightening of the shadow regions.

Show us what you've got and go through how you've taken your photos - settings situation etc... - we can give some better advice as to where you might be going wrong or where you might improve.

Just seen a few images like these and really like the clarity and light these images have. It seems to be a reoccurring within automotive photography, any thing i am missing?
All seem to have the same feel so i am wondering if there is a particular post process to achieve this image????
any in put would be appreciated

i shoot with a canon 5d mk111 and use lightroom as my main edited software

Yes there is something you are missing. I've not seen the photos you may have linked to but am pretty sure I can give you an answer.

First though you make a mistake that many make. You rely on the technology to provide the solution, so you look to the technology for the answer and you cease to look at the subject. Look at your question, your assumption is that the effect is achieved after the photos were taken, that it was added/created by the technology. You seem to have dismissed the option that it was there in the subject.

The answer is that the effect is there in the subject and is called: Acutance.

Acutance is the abruptness of the transition between tones and is what gives the impression of sharpness to images. See the image below, on the left is a high acutance transition and on the right low acutance. The reflections off the highly polished curved surfaces of car bodies are of a high acutance and look naturally sharper. It is the same with ripples on water and so it's no accident that such images are used the sell you HD TV screens etc.

acutance.jpg

Ouch
People don't know what they don't know.
It's up to the user to expand their knowledge by. Asking questions which I believe is what they are doing

Agree with astroNikon. The OP wasn't complaining about his equipment or anything for that matter, he was just asking a question. Being this was the OP's first post I don't think the comment from Traveler was helpful or appropriate. Lets not forget we all started out in this hobby/profession with a limited knowledge base and a lot of questions.

Dave

Most reactions

Back