How do I start? Portraits...

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I am an auto racing photographer, and I admit... you portrait people are the ones with the talent!

During this off-season, I would like to get into portraits. I know a lot of young kids from church from working in the nursery, and I am a college student, so I know a lot of engaged couples. All that to say, I would like to get into: 1) kid portraits and 2) engagement portraits

But where do I start?

My setup:
I do have the equip... a 50mm f/1.8, a 70-200 f/2.8, 2 strobes, 2 umbrellas, etc...
I don't don't have the studio, and don't plan to have one anytime soon.
I do have a room in my house I can add a backdrop to.

So, the question still exists... where do I start?? Any tips for a beginner?

Location, Location, Location.

Go location scouting where you think good scenes would be and shoot them outdoors!

It's a ton of fun, and it's not claustrophobic. I do about 75% of my portraits outdoors with my wee little SB-600, and I get fantastic results.

You can do neat tricks like under or overexposing your background a stop or two, you can put gels on the light to play with colors and white balances, you can do alot.

Dont stress about a studio. More and more people are wanting their portraits on location. I am strictly a location portrait photographer because A: I enjoy very few studio shots and B: I dont have the space where I live right now. What I'm finding with my customers is that they want the photo journalistic style of portraits now, nothing too posed or studioish. Best of Luck, there are lots of photos to be taken out there!!

oh, and if you can, use props. It makes it easier on you and the subject to be able to tell them what to do.

oh, and if you can, use props. It makes it easier on you and the subject to be able to tell them what to do.

What are some prop ideas? I mean are we talking... flowers? chairs? What are some examples of props that you guys use?

Easiest way to start imo.
" hello; id love to do a Portrait/engagment shoot with you. Its not my specialty but im learning people instèad of cars this week. What do you say?"

Personally i use more landscapes then props. Docks. Bridges, trees and so forth.

example of my natural props i like:

jenandjames025bw.jpg

i love using stuff like this.

What are some prop ideas? I mean are we talking... flowers? chairs? What are some examples of props that you guys use?
I dunno, what to the people do?

If you were shooting a photographer, they'd probably have their camera, right?

hey are you in uk.

if so go t vistaprint.co.uk and get your self some cards.

250 for the price of postage under 4 pound theyare great.

make your own design

eg ameteur photogapher needs you to pose and maybe offer a free 7 x 5 print. and you can use the photo in your portfolio.

people always like something for free

then practise practise practise.

and have fun

also i do portraits in my house but outside is good to

all it comes down to, is I need to practice. Thanks for all the input, a lot of it helped a bunch. The free picture thing is good, and I am sure it will get a lot of people interested. Thanks for all the input.

I really like the idea of just going around and finding good photo shooting spots. As I was driving to a small town near here, there were plenty of cool buildings..old saloons, old bank buildings (why are old things so cool?) and things like that.

Thanks again everyone.

i warn you though once the photo bug has got you trapped. you will never be released. ha ha

have fun:D

all it comes down to, is I need to practice. Thanks for all the input, a lot of it helped a bunch. The free picture thing is good, and I am sure it will get a lot of people interested. Thanks for all the input.

I really like the idea of just going around and finding good photo shooting spots. As I was driving to a small town near here, there were plenty of cool buildings..old saloons, old bank buildings (why are old things so cool?) and things like that.

Thanks again everyone.

Since you are in Bolivar, you might consider going for a walk on the Frisco Highline. There are a bunch of really nice trees that are open, public, easily accessible and open to all.

Bolivar also has an old-style downtown, with turn of the 20th century brick buildings. I haven't been down the back alleys around the square in Bolivar, but if it is like most, there are generally several areas that would be perfect for the "old, decaying warehouse" feel in the blocks between the buildings. A even greater advantage is that the buildings almost always block out all light direct light leaving you with nice, shadowed and fairly clean light to start with (just watch your white balance, the combo of the typical "blue" shade mixed with a lot of red bricks can be kind of weird).

Since you are in Bolivar, you might consider going for a walk on the Frisco Highline. There are a bunch of really nice trees that are open, public, easily accessible and open to all.

Bolivar also has an old-style downtown, with turn of the 20th century brick buildings. I haven't been down the back alleys around the square in Bolivar, but if it is like most, there are generally several areas that would be perfect for the "old, decaying warehouse" feel in the blocks between the buildings. A even greater advantage is that the buildings almost always block out all light direct light leaving you with nice, shadowed and fairly clean light to start with (just watch your white balance, the combo of the typical "blue" shade mixed with a lot of red bricks can be kind of weird).

how close are you to Bolivar? Man we should meet up sometime. I've been amused by your comments and replies since the first one I read. Let me know if you're ever coming through town and we'll get some lunch at El Rodeo or something..

man, that's crazy that you know about Bolivar, since it's so small.

But yes, the back alleys are great. Amateur photographers around here have found this huge green door in the bricks behind Breadeaux Pizza. That door is neat...but i've seen way too many pics there :)

Frisco Highline - is that the bike trail that goes to Springfield?

Thanks again everyone.

lucky you, just boring same old beaches here. I hope to see some of those cool places you speak of, please post when you make it there.

how close are you to Bolivar? Man we should meet up sometime. I've been amused by your comments and replies since the first one I read. Let me know if you're ever coming through town and we'll get some lunch at El Rodeo or something..

Clip

Frisco Highline - is that the bike trail that goes to Springfield?

Small? What do you mean, Bolivar's a happening burg! Ok, so it is a bit small.

Regretfully, I live about as far away from you as a person can and still be in the state of Missouri (on the Iowa/Illinois border). Having said that, I was in Bolivar just last year, and get through there from time to time.

Yes, the Highline is the bike trail, but it also has botanical stuff, and the trail is white (a NICE reflective surface) and the trees make an excellent backdrop. There are many attractive benches and tables along it... I often use trails for my birding pictures, they work great... and I have shot some portraits on them (generally the Katy trail near Columbia).

The company I work for does quite a bit of business in Bolivar (no need to go into details) and my travel agent lives there as well, so I know the town a bit... never eaten at El Rodeo, but if it is a Mexican place (Mexican places almost always serve good vegetarian food) I am there... I will even buy (not being a poor starving college student has its advantages).

If/when I know more I will PM you.

I offered a free 8x10 as compensation for free portrait sittings so that I could build my portfolio. Two days after offering it, I already had 15 bookings. Plus, each booking led to additional prints beyond the free 8x10 and I have made some nice money already. :)

Marian

Most reactions

Back