How do I take pictures like these?

you can still link them. is this someone you know? maybe the link to the site could help get more information about the picture?

alex if you have a problem with me, don't try to hijack a thread, send me a private message.

Not a problem, I just find that your responses do not contribute to the topic.

OT: Looks like a single flash, and an added vignette.

Photoshop levels adjustment and distort:lens correction vignette filter. Desaturate for B&W.

I'm guessing you could do it with a tight flash, maybe a grid or something similar.

these photos seem blown out.. not to sure why you'd want that look...

Blown out means white highlights that are over exposed so much that they don't have any data except for the white. They can't be recovered. Some of the photos may seem over exposed, but certainly not blown out.

It almostlooks like a ringflash was used as there's no real visible shadow. If you look hard enough you can see a very very thin tight shadow on the right side of the photos. flash almost looks on camera, but it doesn't seem that harsh.

Judging by the shadows in #1, the catchlights in #4, the washed out/overexposed look, I'd say very powerful raw flash from the direction of the camera and the subject is as close to the wall as she can get. It could be a wider snooth to give the vignette if it isn't done in post. And in order to minimize the dark areas under the chin and arms, I'm guessing the camera was positioned about mid-body/waistline area (which is a common way to photograph brides, oddly). Light coming from there would eliminate the usual tell tale shadows under the chin that characterize direct-flash.

Judging by the shadows in #1, the catchlights in #4, the washed out/overexposed look, I'd say very powerful raw flash from the direction of the camera and the subject is as close to the wall as she can get. It could be a wider snooth to give the vignette if it isn't done in post. And in order to minimize the dark areas under the chin and arms, I'm guessing the camera was positioned about mid-body/waistline area (which is a common way to photograph brides, oddly). Light coming from there would eliminate the usual tell tale shadows under the chin that characterize direct-flash.

Geez man, you're like the CSI guy for photos! Gotta get some of those crappy shades the guy wears on the show. :lol: Good analysis though, you're probably right on.

Just a funny note. The photographer sure loves to chop his/her subject's head :D

I wonder if you zoom an on-camera flash you could get an effect like that. I bet you could, I'll test it out later.

Yep. I'd bet it's done with a flash on-camera with some lights from the side to fill in the flash shadows. But maybe it's a ring. I dunno. Funny that it's so much work to make 'low-fi" images.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back