How do I waterproof my XT?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by keith204, Aug 12, 2007.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to begin taking pictures in the water. not underwater 300 feet or anything, but I'd like to jump off my boat and get some pictures of it, or some pictures of skiiers passing by... I have seen some AWESOME shots that you can only get if you are at water-level.

Basically, I'd like to be able to dunk my camera in the lake, and it not get hurt.

If it makes a difference, I am planning on a 30D upgrade in the near future.

Any ideas for this 'waterproofing'?

Note: I would sure like to use my Canon 17-85 lens to do this. If not, then my stock 18-55.

2. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The safest bet is an underwater housing from a company like Ikelite, Subal, Sea & Sea, or Light and Motion. Granted, it'll be expensive. It's also waterproof.

Next best would be a bag-style underwater "housing" for between $30 and $60.

Or just use lots and lots of rain-x? :lol:

4. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I tried this, and now my camera doesn't work... is there something i'm doing wrong? :confused:

5. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

Last night I won a Ikelite housing for $50.00 on the auction site. Of course it was for an old film camera, but the only way to protect from a dunking is a housing, IMHO. A ziplock with a hole for the lens and sealed with a filter might work, but I would not trust it.