How do photographers get this effect?

Leilameat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always wondered how they get the sky to look so set apart from the land, like it's cut out almost. And how do they get it to look so massive?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
HDR or High Dynamic Range. This is done by blending several exposures so that highlights and shadows are all properly exposed.

And please link to images which you don't own the copyright on.

That's called tone-mapping, right? I thought there was more to it than that.
And the link is in the watermark, that's why I didn't add one. :)

That's called tone-mapping, right? I thought there was more to it than that.
And the link is in the watermark, that's why I didn't add one. :)

Ya, AKA tone mapping, although I don't think it's exactly the same.

The link in the watermark is not enough, I don't think, but that's the moderator's job to remove it if necessary.

Copyright is about ownership, not attribution.

Basically, if you don't own it, you're not allowed to "borrow" it and post it where ever you please on the Internet. (poor netiquette)

James Goggin put the copyright notice on the image in an effort to deter people from doing what you have just done.

TPF also has a rule prohibiting posting photos you don't own the copyright to, to protect them from copyright infringement lawsuits, because they are a commercial enterprise and are making money from advertising here at TPF. It's the 3rd rule down at this link to TPF's rules and Regs:↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - FAQ

Which is why benlonghair recommended a link to the image rather than showing everyone you broke the rules.

It is not an HDR. It has been post processed using standard image editing techniques, particularly dodging and burning.

Last edited:
It can be done by applying the Cheesy Filter in Photoshop Elements or GIMP. It produces a really garish, ultra-vibrant look that makes it look like there's sunlight coming from three impossibly different directions.

My god, people. It's not like I raped someone. I'll remove it.

My god, people. It's not like I raped someone. I'll remove it.

It's worse than rape. lol Yeah, idk TPF has some weird rules. Don't sweat it.

XD Oh dear, I'm a monster, then. :p I've never really had that be a problem on any other forums, so I had no clue, lol.

Copyright is about ownership, not attribution.

Basically, if you don't own it, you're not allowed to "borrow" it and post it where ever you please on the Internet. (poor netiquette)

James Goggin put the copyright notice on the image in an effort to deter people from doing what you have just done.

TPF also has a rule prohibiting posting photos you don't oen the copyright to, to protect them from copyright infringement lawsuits, because they are a commercial enterprise and are making monet from advertising here at TPF. It's the 3rd rule down at this link to TPF's rules and Regs:↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - FAQ

Which is why benlonghair recommended a link to the image rather than showing everyone you broke the rules.

It is not an HDR. It has been post processed using standard image editing techniques, particularly dodging and burning.

Don't flame me for asking but what is "dodging and burning"?

dodging is lightening areas, and burning is darkening some area.

Specifically, dodging and burning are terms that are holdovers from the days of darkrooms. Burning referred to adding light to the paper (darkening it) and you would used something to dodge in and out of the exposure to remove light and thus lighten the image.

Most reactions

Back