How do they find your website?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ksmattfish, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What phrase or string of words, when plugged into a search engine, will make your site come up #1 on the list?

If you search for "rolleiflex tlr shooting BW" on Google, my site comes up at the top of the list. 8)

If you search for "family photographer Kansas" on Yahoo, my site comes up first again. Man, that's a good one. I don't know how I pulled that off.

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My old site that links to this one comes up first if you search for "photography forum" and this site comes up first if you search for "photo forum" on Google :)

3. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well it seems that if someone searchs for something images I get in the top 10. The something is usually a title to one of my posts. I get some strange ones though.

4. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I can't remember if I've seen this mentioned on TPF but type "weapons of mass destruction" on Google and click on "I'm feeling Lucky". Make sure you read the "cannot be displayed" page.

5. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    its only good if you know thats what people are typing to find your website. How many people type in "family photographer kansas"? find out here:

http://www.wordtracker.com/trial/index.php3

Certain webpage elements (title tag, h1, link text) help tell search engine what the relevant text is for your website. My guess is that "Kansas Photographer" and "Kansas Photography" are you best bets to getting good traffic to your website.

6. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think most search engines look at your cookies and web history to help match you up with site that would favor your marketing and buying needs; I remember some talk about this around two years ago it was google or yahoo I think

7. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    this would be nearly impossible, as the machine you surf on is not (99% of the time) not the one that your website is hosted on :D

8. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    at google it's "photong angela roy" but dont put in the option "pages from canada" or else you'll only get this art show thingie i was in that has a link to my website. so either way is ok to find my website.

same thing for yahoo.com/yahoo.ca except for the pages from canada. nothing shows up.

if you dont out in photong, and just my name, it'll be one of the first few choises but not the first.

9. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Namely the meta data. In most web editing suites (like frontpage) there's an option somewhere to add 'keywords' or edit the meta data. I 've got a string of keywords about 30 long in mine to help clarify for search engines.