How do they get this super contrast effect (see link)

aomiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been seeing more and more black and white portraits with a super high level of contrast like this:

A Piece of Paper on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am new to photoshop. Could someone please explain this technique to me or point me to a tutorial?
Is it a plug-in or just a specific technique?

Thanks.

Ok, so after spending some time trolling the web, I think this is some kind of sharpening plug-in rather than contrast...
Any idea what this person used?

They are probably using one of the "tone mapping" techniques that are commonly used in HDR (High Dynamic Range) processing.

The linked image is obviously not a real HDR image as such images require multiple originals each shot at different exposures. The subjects would have moved between the separate bracketed shots.

Instead, they've taken a single image and applied one of the Tone Mapping utilities. They could have used the basic "Shadow/Highlights" tool that's been in PS for several versions. Its an "image adjustment" found on the "Image/Adjustments/" submenu. There are also a number of special apps dedicated to HDR processing that could have been used.

Thanks for the help. I will be trying both your suggestions.

You mean how the skin and background is so much lighter compared to the hair? That can involve using filters during shooting b&w (or afterwards in processing for color) to separate the subjects and make them pop a bit more.

This isn't my specialty though so I won't pretend to explain the best means of black and white conversion from a color photo.

For this photo however, it has the tell tale "glow" around much of the subjects which is common place with excessive use of the "shadow/highlight" adjustment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back