How do YOU backup?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Offbeat, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Offbeat

Offbeat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How does everyone store their stuff?
    Ive just got a MacBook and external USB2.0 hard drive and dont know how i should set things up. Do I:-

1)Use my Macbook hard drive,backup to an external HD and then CD/DVD, then delete stuff from Mac and HD when things are getting full?

2)Use my external HD to keep all my photos on and just backup to CD/DVD every month or so?

Never really done this backing up business before as ive been really lucky and never really lost anything important before but now im at university any notes, documents, photos i feel that i NEED to have copies coz if i lost them... I dont even want to think about it.

Anyway just want to know how other people do it and what programs you use?

-Matt

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a 2nd internal HD and a USB/firewire HD that I use.

3. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the same setup as Sw1tch.

Check out iSync. I don't use this because I have my photo programs and stuff on my PC but it might make your life easier.

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

If you just got your MacBook, meaning you purchased it after October 1, then wait 'til Friday and get a free upgrade to OS X 10.5. It has an automatic backup utility called Time Machine. I would suggest using that if you're not an "expert" user - as in you don't have your own backup system already in place (which is what it sounds like).

Otherwise, I keep 8-bit JPGs of my photos on my hard drives (laptop and desktop) in iPhoto, and I back up my desktop weekly to an external drive. I keep the original RAW and processed PSD files on my laptop hard drive until I have a DVD-worth and then copy them over to the DVD, deleting the stuff on the hard drive.

5. CDG

CDG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use a blue binder made by Avery. :lmao:

6. Offbeat

Offbeat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont think that free upgrade applies to the UK :( I was pretty gutted when i found out Lepoard was coming out 7 days after i bought my Mac but it might be better, ill wait a few months until the bugs have been sorted out.

7. NathanJK

NathanJK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I double everything thats from the last year or so up on two different hard drives. I then burn two dvd's of everything. My plan is to recopy the dvd's every two years or so. I use taiyo yuden dvd's, I've heard they are the best for archival. I store one set of the dvd's off site as well just in case.

8. astrostu

astrostu Guest

The Apple press release doesn't say anything about it being limited to the US. The press release says:

9. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Normally, I just put the car in reverse and go. Once in a while, I mix things up and actually look

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    internal HDD storage for the images, internal HDD for backup.

Several external HDDs for archives and backups.

No CDs no DVDs as I hate backing up all those hundreds of GBytes to DVDs ;)

Using this way of backing up for about 10 years now, and never lost a single file/image. Except once when I was travelling and the laptop HDD died without being backed up. Lost some recent shots then.

11. hawkeye

hawkeye TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Time Machine is the way to go! Hopefully you didnt get Tiger too soon... Leopard is going to be great!

12. hawkeye

hawkeye TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I use externals too, but I would be afraid to not put on DVD. Hard drives crash, discs stay nice and safe in their case and put on a shelf where they belong. I leave my stuff on the external for random access, and put the discs away for safety.

I guess certain RAID configs will give peace of mind (fault tolerance) in the case a hard disc fails, but its just too easy to burn to disc every couple days / weeks etc.