How do you carry your camera, lens, etc

Yesterday I took the wife for a drive, no where special, just a run in the country and along the coast, I took my very first landscape shots, therefore only used, Canon EF 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6, Canon EF 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses, but I had all of them with me. There is still part of me saying, OK PJ you going to shoot some basic landscapes, but what if you see a nice bird or deer you want the bigger lens for, so I took them all.

As said, they were basic landscapes, all taken from the car, each in the only parking place I could find, with camera popped out of my window, but for me they were my first shots so it was great to get out and try the camera out.

I drove down one narrow country lane, just over a car width, the odd passing bay, no where to park, I saw 20-30 wild geese in a field as I passed it but couldn't pull up to shoot them, there was no where to park, it would have been unsafe to go back in my power chair, so just had to accept it as a missed opportunity. I think it is because there will be for me many missed opportunities due to be restricted where I can go or get to that I take all my stuff in case I do see something worth shooting in an area I can get to. That said, camera equipment in the car is one thing, what I can take in the power chair will no doubt be another, that will be when I have to be more choosy I think. Until then it is the boy scout thing, be prepared. :icon_salut: Boy scout thing, I am 69! :biglaugh:

This is what I have done so far, I was just a bit bothered of damaging Tamron 150-600mm lens in separate bag, the lens hood just fits in in reverse, that should also help protect the lens I think.
I may thinking of trying to put the large lens in shoulder bag and see if I can get other 3 and camera in as well but reckon something will have to give.
I am just a bit concerned of banging and damaging the longer lens being in a separate bag that could roll or get banged against something. (Shots taken quickly on a small pocket camera I realise they are not straight)

Camera_Bag1.jpg Camera_Bag2.jpg
Tamron_case3.jpg Tamron_case1.jpg

Honestly, the bag the tamron is in looks well padded and durable. I wouldn’t worry too much.

I think it would get more beat up knocking around in the main bag.

Honestly, the bag the tamron is in looks well padded and durable. I wouldn’t worry too much.

I think it would get more beat up knocking around in the main bag.

Thanks Destin

Man you GOTTA pack lighter.
Maybe get a Canon 18-135, to replace the 18-55 and 75-300. The 18-135 makes a great GP lens.
Then you only carry the 18-135 and 150-600.
Bring the 10-18 only if you really want a wide lens.

Maybe get a Canon 18-135, to replace the 18-55 and 75-300. The 18-135 makes a great GP lens.
I've read nothing but good reviews about that 18-135mm Canon lens.

I might someday look to trading my 17-85mm for the 18-135mm, but that's pretty low on the list of priorities.

Yup. Sometimes less is more.

I plan to end-up with no more than five (5) lenses, total:
  • Canon Zoom EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. (have)
  • Canon Zoom EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM (have)
  • Tokina AT-X PRO 100mm F2.8 D Macro (probably next)
  • Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
  • Canon Lens EF-S 10-18mm IS STM
My (current) bag is a ProMaster sling pack style that's just big enough for camera+lens and two additional lenses. (Not the Tamron, obviously.) I've about enough room, after that, for additional batteries, charger and a speedlight. It's got straps on the bottom for a field tripod.

I don't plan on a bigger bag. That's already a lot to lug around, IMO.

I might someday look to trading my 17-85mm for the 18-135mm, but that's pretty low on the list of priorities.

Yup. Sometimes less is more.

I plan to end-up with no more than five (5) lenses, total:
  • Canon Zoom EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. (have)
  • Canon Zoom EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM (have)
  • Tokina AT-X PRO 100mm F2.8 D Macro (probably next)
  • Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
  • Canon Lens EF-S 10-18mm IS STM
My (current) bag is a ProMaster sling pack style that's just big enough for camera+lens and two additional lenses. (Not the Tamron, obviously.) I've about enough room, after that, for additional batteries, charger and a speedlight. It's got straps on the bottom for a field tripod.

I don't plan on a bigger bag. That's already a lot to lug around, IMO.

Good selection of lenses though Cortian, do you like your Tamron 150-600? Do you have one of the Teleconverters x1.4 or x2. They look good but then there is the light stop 1 for the x1.4 and 2 F-Stops for the x2.0 I think. I have not been out to use mine yet.

Good selection of lenses though Cortian, do you like your Tamron 150-600?
I don't have those latter three lenses, yet, PJ. Just the 17-85 and 70-300.

The Tamron is probably a good ways down the road.

I'm retired, now. My wife and I are in pretty comfortable shape, financially. We got that way by being fiscally responsible. That doesn't mean I won't spend $1300 on a lens, but it does mean I'll only do so when I've assured myself I'm actually going to stick with this hobby, which I cannot say after only a month or so.

As it is: Between the 40D body I bought, a lens for the 20D body for her, the 100-300mm lens I bought (which it turns out I won't need), and various other bits and pieces: Probably spent over $1k in the last month.

Time to put the brakes on a bit ;)

Besides: I also need a speedlight. And want to get a softbox, stand and wireless for that. It adds up. Fast.

I also need a speedlight. And want to get a softbox, stand and wireless for that. It adds up. Fast.

I discovered the Nikon 18-140 almost by accident. I have the 18-70 and wanted a similar lens, but with VR, but Nikon did not make it. They had the 18-105 which had middling reviews, then the new 18-140 which had better reviews. I did not think that I would make use of the 105-140 range, but WRONG, I did. I used the entire range of the lens. I also surprised myself with how much I used the full range of the zoom in a short time, like shooting football and soccer with the lens at 140mm and a few seconds later have it cranked down to 18mm for a CLOSE shot.

I liked the general purpose capabilities of the 18-140 so much that I recommended that the high school yearbook advisor buy his additional cameras with the Canon equivalent, the 18-135. Then the kids would not have to hassle with changing lenses, and possibly dropping the lens. And that lens has worked out well.

As for speedlight, check strobist. It is a lower cost, off camera flash movement. He does not use the HIGH COST Nikon flash, but older lower cost/affordable flashes. And cheaper alternatives to the $$$ Pocket Wizard. Cool stuff and good ideas. I went that route and have not regretted it.

Good selection of lenses though Cortian, do you like your Tamron 150-600?
I don't have those latter three lenses, yet, PJ. Just the 17-85 and 70-300.

The Tamron is probably a good ways down the road.

I'm retired, now. My wife and I are in pretty comfortable shape, financially. We got that way by being fiscally responsible. That doesn't mean I won't spend $1300 on a lens, but it does mean I'll only do so when I've assured myself I'm actually going to stick with this hobby, which I cannot say after only a month or so.

As it is: Between the 40D body I bought, a lens for the 20D body for her, the 100-300mm lens I bought (which it turns out I won't need), and various other bits and pieces: Probably spent over $1k in the last month.

Time to put the brakes on a bit ;)

Besides: I also need a speedlight. And want to get a softbox, stand and wireless for that. It adds up. Fast.

Everything I have has been purchased in the last 5 weeks, it soon adds up. We are hopefully going to move house this year so I have been getting what I can now.

The wife changed her tune last week, I was getting fed up with the words 'What you ordered now and 'What another lens' it was great to hear something different... 'How much!' :cower: At least we are still talking. :biglaugh:

I have a lot of bags. One big backpack that carries a lot of stuff, and various smaller bags for different things. And a tiny lunch-box sized bag that carries my complete Pentax Q kit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back