How do you carry your gear when outside moving around?

I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those, i would feal a right jerk

i would say it looks like a standard method of carry for serious p.journalists on the move.

i would feel slightly more jerky if my pants dropped in the middle of a shoot due to overloaded cargo pocekts:lol:

I have never seen one over here wearing one

i've been trying to find a solution and haven't as of yet. i like to carry my 70-200mm f/2.8 on camera but i don't like carrying it. so i mostly use the Tamrac Aero Speed 85 wich works pretty well but i just ordered a Tamrac Pro 12 so i can just set the camera in there between shots. not sure if it will work out though. Tamrac also makes a holster type carrying belt for all different setups. i'm thinking about going that route.

1st camera with 70-200 on my shoulder, 2nd camera with 17-50 on my neck. I don't really use any other lenses when i'm shooting (mostly shoot automotive events). My flash and filters, cards etc, are in my backpack (Lowepro Fastpack 350) which swings around for easy access. I've never had to 'dig' with this backpack, it's great.

When i'm not shooting events, i'm shooting for fun with one camera (usually film camera, Nikon FE, F100, or a rangefinder) and one or two prime lenses max. With lenses and film in my small army medic bag that I got from the surplus store.

Last edited:
I have a LowPro backpack for "Those long walks on the beach", but use a really nice Photographers Vest for when I'm walking around shooting.. it holds my lenses and anything else I need .... Looking nerdy??? I look nerdy without a vest.. :lol:

I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those, i would feal a right jerk

i would say it looks like a standard method of carry for serious p.journalists on the move.

i would feel slightly more jerky if my pants dropped in the middle of a shoot due to overloaded cargo pocekts:lol:

I have never seen one over here wearing one

interesting...
whats the standard method over there then?
personally i have a back pack, but am looking forward to picking up a slingshot...the back packs are a bit slow for me.

If you're shooting a sporting event, wedding, or anything that requires you to carry a body and multiple lenses plus necessary accessories, how do you carry your gear?
Nix the wedding part for me, but I tend to use the two body-two lens setup.... with options if in a unknown situation. :D

I'll put the 70-200mm on a monopod and hook the 24-70mm on the Black Rapids strap. The options is when I tack on the Slingshot with some extra primes.
doublefistingD300D700-5.jpg
doublefistingD300D700-1.jpg

doublefistingD300D700-3.jpg
doublefistingD300D700-4.jpg

Of course, one of the advantages of a larger body is that it can substitue for a defensive weapon if someone tries to sneak up behind yo....... :lol:
doublefistingD300D700-2.jpg

FYI.... focus is off, spot on the sensor, minimal PP...... and if anyone is wanting to be picky, I know it's not the 70-200mm on the monopod, just couldn't be @ssed to change it out..... :mrgreen:​

For me it depends a lot on the sport. Football is always a vest with extra small stuff in the pockets. One body has the 400 f2.8 on it a second with a 70-200 f2.8 and a third with a 24-70 f2.8.

For other sports like basket ball or volleyball I will use the Think Tank modular system as I only carry 2 bodies for these sports.

As for a vest being geeky, I could care less. I'm there shooting an event not putting on a fashion show. The only thing that counts is the results that end up on the memory cards. Pretty never paid the bills when it's behind the lens.

Kundalini,

Thanks for sharing. That's pretty interesting. I may have to look into your setup. It seems well suited for some of the shooting I do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back