How do you cope with the winter photography blues?

If you have the winter blues then why fight it? Putting your camera down when you are not interested is actually a good idea. Viewing the local art scene is a great way to keep those creative juices flowing.

I lived in Jackson, WY for years. Subzero temps (-20º) for days on end is common. I kind of got off on it. Produced some amazing photos. Keep in mind that photography is a very personal process. Only you can answer the question posted.

Love & Bass

Your right, maybe ill go out and try and shoot some winter stuff, if I lose inspiration ill put my camera down.

Im gonna go out wearing snowpants! :lol:

That's a great attitude!

Here are some ideas:

On high pressure days you will find amazing patterns in the frost hoar. Look for it assembling around colored objects like street signs and electrical markers.

On low pressure stormy days consider shooting snow drifts and wind blown snow.

Also keep in mind that photographing people in their snow gear or doing frosty things like walking past the Bank thermometer will provide an original take on the season.

Love & Bass

I just posted a photo of some awesome 'hoar frost'...post is titled that.

Love that in the winter time.

"Indoors gets boring, I really want to play with some lights and do some macro shots but I dont have a good macro lens :("

Get some macro filters. If the lens barrel is not super big they could be pretty inexpensive. Don't sweat all the endless technical mumbo-jumbo about a perfect lens for this or that. All that matters is does the image have impact, soul or a voice. Too much concern over perfect technique can kill creativity. Almost all of Van Gogh's paintings have a flaw(s) but they still have the power to bring tears to viewer's eyes- if they were perfectly polished would it still be true?

While working indoors have fun, if its digital try anything, let your imagination run wild. If nothing comes to mind, simply getting to work on something usually will cause a spark of curiosity for me. Usually for me nothing happens until I have been engaged in making images for at least a little while - I am open to things being revealed as I go along. Its the journey or process of working that usually shows me where to go, listen to your insides.

I am not in a climate as cold as yours, but am not that fond of being cold. That said there are wonderful things that happen in winter, the trees become very expressive when their leaves are gone- look closely and patiently with a quiet mind. The very best thing is at this time of year is the sun is at a low arc, the light is always casting wonderful shadows almost all day long.

Also it is a good season for me to work on prints in photoshop (I can always make better prints by working a good deal) and a non expressive print can eassily kill or distort the voice of a good image. If I spend a good deal of the cold months on prints, I will be more free to be outside as the weather warms when I really hate being at a desk.

You could light paint, do self portraits, or both together with or with out a tripod, slow or fast shutter, dig through the attic or shed and look for objects to photograph. Try rocks, dead leaves anything. The important thing for me is to stay in the rythm of photographing with regularity if at all possible, this keeps me engaged in an on going conversation with my work. Hope something in this entry helps.

Your right, im just going to have fun with it. Im gonna make a setup for water drops on cold days and overcast.

I was actually happy we got freezing rain a week ago, it gave me lots of opportunity to go out and shoot some frozen branches/flowers. But I Didnt get a chance to go shoot! :(:x I cant remember but I was busy or something

Well, I just purchased a second sb-600 to practice strobing.

Lucky, im still saving just for one.... along with two lenses on my list. :grumpy:

Please use a direct image, I cant post them for you but all you have to do is click the camera with the sunset picture behind it and enter the link.

Anyways, the tree is by far my favorite. But whats with people taking shots of snow fences in the winter? Ive seen about 20 around. :lol:

Please use a direct image, I cant post them for you but all you have to do is click the camera with the sunset picture behind it and enter the link.

Anyways, the tree is by far my favorite. But whats with people taking shots of snow fences in the winter? Ive seen about 20 around. :lol:

I did as not to upset the OP

757966627_queNa-L.jpg

759452875_gKTEN-L.jpg

759451769_Nktup-L.jpg

Don't think ive seen any of your shots around :lol:

Don't think ive seen any of your shots around :lol:

nope probaly havent, I dont post a lot of C&C around here, gotta problem? :D

edit: I told you to post directly because some people dont follow links, I however looked at them. Im just making it easier for others.

I know a good way to cope with it is to "suck it up" but I want to hear how photographers that have gone through many winters cope with the cold.

i have been xc skiing and or snowshoeing in gatineau park for the past 15 winters or so,
i find my winters are too short. this season is harder to handle in the city, get out of it.

I know a good way to cope with it is to "suck it up" but I want to hear how photographers that have gone through many winters cope with the cold.

i have been xc skiing and or snowshoeing in gatineau park for the past 15 winters or so,
i find my winters are too short. this season is harder to handle in the city, get out of it.

I go up to camp fortune pretty much every weekend to ride, maybe ill stop around and snap some shots in places. :thumbup:

I was going to say, "Go look for amphibians!", but then I saw that you were somewhere that has real winter. :lol:

bil35z.jpg

I am a bit more north than san fran. Not many amphibians lurking around at this time of year. :lol:

Cool shot, frogs are very interesting, I wish I could just rent a snake for a photo shoot indoors. :lmao:

I was going to say, "Go look for amphibians!", but then I saw that you were somewhere that has real winter. :lol:

bil35z.jpg
Yeah, I won't be seeing those for a loooong time.

We have this kind of animals ;D

4176434677_99328c09a3.jpg

Agreed!!!
I love winter when it is here.
XC skis and snow shoes...a small backpack...and sometimes when I am truly lazy about getting about...
a view from the back of a mule.

3283438454_4b49eaacbf.jpg

:lmao:

"Suck it up" is right. It was -40 here with the windchill a few days ago when I went out.

Temperature, I can deal with. You need only put on more clothes and keep moving to stay warm. It's not a problem for the camera either, it's actually very simple: the key is to keep it cold and dry...

• Hold your breath when you take a shot so that your breath doesn't condense and freeze on the viewfinder (it won't damage your camera, but it's a pain to get off)
  • Don't keep the camera under your jacket. Keep in a non-insulated bag that will quickly cool to the outdoor temperature.
  • Put the camera in your bag before you go inside and keep it there for several hours before taking it out
That's really all there is to it. Even my entry-level camera with no anything-sealing worked for three hours at this temperature without a hitch (can't say how Canons will fair, though :lol:). Oh yeah: take several spare batteries and keep them somewhere warm like an inside pocket. You'll need to swap them frequently.

My main problem in what is now my second winter as a "serious amateur", it seems, is inspiration. When everything outside is either white or trees, it's easy to get repetitive and fall into a rut.

Im gonna go downtown with my camera in a full on snowsuit and face mask. :lmao::lol::lmao:
I'm Canadian and I fail to see the humour in that.

^ me in minus 40 (with windchill). Yes, I walked into a store this way.

I wear coveralls, put my camera in a backpack inside a plastic zip lock bag so when I first go out it acclimates...
Actually, you don't need worry about having in a zip-lock when going from warm to cold. Condensation only occurs when a cold object is exposed to warm, moist air. Zip-lock bags do work very well, though, when you want to acclimate your gear a little bit faster.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back