How do you feel about these..?

RowmyF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys - so these pictures I took of my sister's friend...I went to NY for a visit and it's a far cry from Miami..it's not easy to find a beautiful, clean, green, area there to do a shoot...Yes, NY is beautiful in it's own right...but the area I was in - forget about it. So I walked through some back alleys and found an abandoned garage which looked just as you see it..we didn't touch a thing...

1.jpg

10-1.jpg

15.jpg

9-1.jpg

My cousin (also a photographer) saw these and didn't quite "get them" either...

There was no message I was trying to convey with these..just having a little fun..I was going for the urban look...

i keep coming back to these and i think for me what is not working are his clothes. they are too clean and contrast too much with the background. I am not saying he should be in rags but not that white sweatshirt. Maybe a black t-shirt would have worked better.

I love them! I think it is a very cool area and his expression kind of conveys the drabness of the situation - it's almost like post earthquake or something. I dig it! :

I love them! I think it is a very cool area and his expression kind of conveys the drabness of the situation - it's almost like post earthquake or something. I dig it! :

I agree. Most seniors (especially boys) don't want their picture in a field of roses of something. And I feel his face and expression matches where he's at. I really like these!

Thank you!!! For seeing what I see when I set this shoot up...

I like the series. I think you accomplished your goal and most senior boys would be happy with these. I don't mind the white shirt, but I may burn in the brighter corners to make him stand out a little more.

Not sure, but maybe try slightly desaturating the first 2 images. It may help convey that grungy feeling?

My cousin (also a photographer) saw these and didn't quite "get them" either...

There was no message I was trying to convey with these..just having a little fun..I was going for the urban look...

I think the models clothing was a bit to nice to be a urbanish but I think I get the concept that its just a nice scene to shoot a model. I don't believe everything has to have a purpose to me the photo comes together fairly well.

I think the models clothing was a bit to nice to be a urbanish but I think I get the concept that its just a nice scene to shoot a model. I don't believe everything has to have a purpose to me the photo comes together fairly well.
I totally agree I like the urban look of the photo but his cloths don't fit the shot. I think his cloths would do great in the green Miami background! :p

I like them, but since you're looking for criticism, I'll tell you the backgrounds are too busy IDEALLY (but life is rarely ideal). I think the clothes are fine, but if you're looking for a really urban look, you can't go wrong with a wifebeater (elastic undershirt for all of you that haven't been Americanized...lol)

Ooh, I think these are fun. His expression goes along greatly, and the clothes don't bother me. I like them just how they are.

The clothes do not bother me either. I just want there to be meaning. I can apply meaning to them from how I view them even though you had no intention of a meaning. I would agree with Woodsac that any senior boy would like these photos.

I like them, but since you're looking for criticism, I'll tell you the backgrounds are too busy IDEALLY (but life is rarely ideal). I think the clothes are fine, but if you're looking for a really urban look, you can't go wrong with a wifebeater (elastic undershirt for all of you that haven't been Americanized...lol)

good comment imo....the background competes too much with the subject and I find myself liking the background a lot and feel the intended subject is an intrusion on an interesting location. Grungy backgrounds work well for portraits, but they need to be simple and not busy. They are well exposed though.

Most reactions

Back