How do you feel when "they" dont care?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by shingfan, Feb 26, 2007.

1. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    haha.....i think the topic is a little hard to understand what i mean....lol

i was taking portraits of my families over the chinese new year....as many of you might have seen

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72624

sigh.....i met them over the weekend and show them the pictures.....and gave to them as gift.......they just scan through them like looking at snapshots and say "pretty good"........that's IT....didnt really spend much time looking at my effort or show any appreciation....i was so disappointed..........the only comment i got was.....how come there is only one of my picture.....apparently they care about quantity more than quality......sigh >_<

how would you feel if this happen to you?

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the problem when you mix business with family. A few years back I did senior photos of my cousin (against my better judgment) because her mother was not happy with the ones she had done. The day after the shoot I put proofs up on the net, and shortly after I got an email asking when they'd be done. I told her a few weeks to a month, because I was very busy with other things. I think after that I got emails daily asking when they'd be done. It got so annoying that I almost deleted the pictures. I love my family, as we all do, but sometimes it's a better idea to refer them to a colleague or another photographer.

3. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sigh.....they just take things for granded when you are part of the family.....i'm sure if they need to spend extra $$$ doing it outside....they would show a lot more appreciation and take good looks of the photos that they spend their $$$ on.....lol :p......now it changes my mind about giving them a family portrait section with my new setup (borrowing a flash from a friend for background light and an umbrella to spread the main light better)

4. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    'A prophet is without honor in his own country.'

5. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know what you mean. I did a shoot for my friend at the park and picked out about 5 pictures that were really nice and edited them up and stuff. She didn't care how they looked she just wanted to see ALLLLLLLL the pictures.

It's a shame but that's what happens. If it counts for anything I love the set you did. The bubbles and backgrounds are great.

6. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your pictures are great. My fav is #4 I think. The little girl in red, her outfit is adorable.

I'm sure we all know what you mean.
    My family is pretty good in offering encouragement.
    My bfs mom is my best fan but I worry sometimes that she has a biased opinion *sigh*
    But my bf assures me that she's been looking at art alot long than I have and has an eye for it. So maybe she's right.

Same goes here.. as we're all 'artists' we see the time and effort you took to make these pictures really special.

I've had people pay me to take pictures and showed no appreciation what so ever. But I've also had people offer to pay more because they were so impressed.
    It all depends on your customers/audience. Some get it. Some dont.
    Don't be discouraged by it. When I get discouraged I make it a point to prove them wrong and show them how successful I can be in photography :)

7. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would feel that next time I would charge them. I would phrase it as, "Since you're family, I'll give you a discount."

8. 357magnum

357magnum TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    happens to me with parents "hey dad check this picture out" sometimes i get him in an excited voice with "thats really good!" and i say thanks and he goes back to doing whatever he was doing or sometimes its just..thats nice.

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Feeling disappointed is fine. It will help because you may look at the shoot differently next time. Keep in mind that some people have no interest in photographs.

On a broader scale having the client or subject not care is a problem. Experience and knowledge is the only answer.

10. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have long gotten used to the fact that others won't 'appreciate' my pictures as much as I do the same as no one loves my children as much as I do.

11. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is this in response to my comment about having a paying customer show no appreciation?

12. craig

craig TPF Noob!

My response is to Shingfan's post.