How do you get pics down in size

antelope555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I tried to enter the photo contest and my picture was rejected because it was to large (1.01 mb) how do you lower this size file, without lossing quality. 150K isn't that the same as 1.5 mb? I have a nikon D50
Thank you
antelope555

There are 1000 "K" in 1 mb. K = kilobytes, mb = mega bytes. 1.5mb is actually 1500 k.

You need to resize the photo first off. (Lower the pixel resolution). You can do that with an image editing program like photoshop elements, irfanview, paint shop pro, etc......

Then you need to save it as a jpg, which will add compression to it. The best program to do this (in my opinion) is photoshop elements, or the full version of photoshop, with the save for web function. You can control exactly how much compression you want, and see the effect on the image.

I'm trying to figure out how to mark my pictures. I looked in the help menu of my photo editor and can't find it. Any suggestions?

Digital Matt said:
There are 1000 "K" in 1 mb. K = kilobytes, mb = mega bytes. 1.5mb is actually 1500 k.

You need to resize the photo first off. (Lower the pixel resolution). You can do that with an image editing program like photoshop elements, irfanview, paint shop pro, etc......

Then you need to save it as a jpg, which will add compression to it. The best program to do this (in my opinion) is photoshop elements, or the full version of photoshop, with the save for web function. You can control exactly how much compression you want, and see the effect on the image.

I resize mine to 640 x 480 or 480 x 640 depends on if I held the camera normal or turn it sideways.

kelly37167 said:
I'm trying to figure out how to mark my pictures. I looked in the help menu of my photo editor and can't find it. Any suggestions?

What kind of mark to you want to put on your pictures? What photo editor are you using?

Big Mike said:
What kind of mark to you want to put on your pictures? What photo editor are you using?

My name edited to match the background, a mark of some kind like intials, anything that can come back to me saying it's mine. I don't mind other people using my pics for something, as long as it's with permission and not stolen, I have a skyfolder acct and want to mark them.

I use Ashampoo Photo Commander 5 software.

Most reactions

Back